Gibson Brands Forums

'98 epi lp studio

airbags

hello, all - i'm new to the forums, just got my first epiphone, and thought i'd ask a spec question or two.

so, i picked up a 1998 les paul studio (i don't have pics yet, these are pics of the exact same model/colour/year):

98epilpstudiosydney001.jpg

the machine heads might need some work, and i'm looking into that... does anyone know what the specs are on the stock heads (pictured below)?

98epilpstudiosydney004.jpg

98epilpstudiosydney006.jpg

i found some new black machine heads, and they state they're 9mm, but i'm not sure what the specs would be on this rig. i can't seem to find any other info on this particular year's model, so...

any advice would be great. ultimately, it'll end up at the local luthier, but i thought i'd get a heads-up before i take it to shop.

thanks!

yeah, sure does, doesn't it? not a bad guitar, although the toggle switch is damaged. i'm going to have that fixed, as well.

otherwise, i'm not sure it requires any additional updating. even the pickups were pretty solid on the guitar.

i found some new black machine heads' date=' and they state they're 9mm, but i'm not sure what the specs would be on this rig. i can't seem to find any other info on this particular year's model, so...

thanks![/quote']

I'm pretty sure you are going to want 10mm tuners. But, the best way to find out is to take one off and measure the hole.

Also, very nice guitar. Cant wait to see the real one.

sheila, the guitar is a transparent black, an almost smoky tint to it. the pickguard and cover are the same colour, a pearloid white, almost a creme colour. it actually matches the guitar quite well. my initial reaction was to change it to black, but now, i'm not so sure i can part with the creme [cool]

robin, i've gotta take pics of it tonight, anyway - i'll post them as soon as i can so everyone can see the actual guitar.

is the process of widening the tuner holes very damaging? the last thing i want to do is hurt the guitar.

sheila' date=' the guitar is a transparent black, an almost smoky tint to it. the pickguard and cover are the same colour, a pearloid white, almost a creme colour. it actually matches the guitar quite well. my initial reaction was to change it to black, but now, i'm not so sure i can part with the creme [biggrin']

robin, i've gotta take pics of it tonight, anyway - i'll post them as soon as i can so everyone can see the actual guitar.

is the process of widening the tuner holes very damaging? the last thing i want to do is hurt the guitar.

Not at all. Just take a hand reamer and run it through, it'll only take a little bit, few turns at most.

DO NOT use a drill. Either invest in the reamer, or take it to a shop. Do something right or not at all.

sheila' date=' the guitar is a transparent black, an almost smoky tint to it. the pickguard and cover are the same colour, a pearloid white, almost a creme colour. it actually matches the guitar quite well. my initial reaction was to change it to black, but now, i'm not so sure i can part with the creme [biggrin']

The pearl I could live with, the shot just looked white and not a good match. Really looking forward to seeing this beaut in more detail! A trans-black Studio! Why doesn't Epi keep doing colors like this?

Sheila

wow - do you think it's really that rare? i'm mostly a fender player, but i also have two discontinued 2002 schecter 006's and one ibanez talman electric (not the acoustics that are out these days) - this is my first epiphone, so i know almost nothing about the company other than what i've managed to learn in the past few days.

wow - do you think it's really that rare?

I've only ever seen 1 other before. (Used, in a local shop.) Not that it will ever be super valuable, it's a mass produced asian guitar. But rarer that others. Yeah, I'd say so.

Not at all. Just take a hand reamer and run it through' date=' it'll only take a little bit, few turns at most.

DO NOT use a drill. Either invest in the reamer, or take it to a shop. Do something right or not at all.[/quote']

what about the use of conversion bushings?

Archived