Gibson Brands Forums

EJ200ce Sound issue

Airick

So I just purchased a used but immaculate 2009 EJ200ce. Drove 200 miles to pick it up, actually!

Anyway, I gigged with it as part of the Guinness Book of World Record's Longest Concert the other night (named the Assembly Line Concert II) and I had a problem that I didn't think would be so bad but had noticed before.

My high e string sounds COMPLETELY different than any other string. The guitar has been set up with amazing fast & low action and I am using D'Addario EXP .011-.052 strings. I noticed the problem the first time I plugged it in at home but was working around it and didn't have any time to look into it. At the gig, it was horrible! I and anyone else couldn't hear any soloing on the string. The rest of the guitar sounds great... it has a huge, booming sound but the high e string is just a tin can.

Should I try not using a string that isn't so light? I normally love heavier strings anyway but the action is so low, I don't want to run into bad fret buzz with heavier strings.

I can make a video of it if anyone is interested in hearing what I'm talking about. Not being the original owner, I'm afraid I don't get any warranty consideration and I drove all that way to get it because it was the only way I could afford it... so help is definitely what I need.

Thanks!!!

I thought that heavier strings made fretbuzz LESS likely because they don't sit as deep in the nut, and require higher tension (causing more neck relief) to reach pitch.

I could be wrong though.........i've seen me do it before.

It could just be a bad string..........how doe's it sound unplugged?

If it's only deficient when plugged in, it could be a pickup problem, improper placement etc.

Welcome to the forum ! We require(ok, we beg for) pics of all guitars mentioned here...........:-

You know, it's about 90% not there when it's unplugged... and plugged in it's about 110% there. I didn't know about heavier gauge strings reducing the chance of fret buzz. Shows you how much I know even though I've been playing for 15 years now. I will give that a try.

The same e string also doesn't like to be bent on the 12th fret more than 1/4 of a step before beginning to fade away due to the string encountering another fret. It buzzes on a bend all the way from 12 through 16 and doesn't happen on the 17th fret. I wonder if those are related.

Either way, the e just doesn't pop nearly the same way as the same note on the B or even the G. It lacks any umph which really kills any solo.

I'm going to adjust the neck just a little bit and see if that might free it up. I know that the bridge has been sanded down and I'm wondering if the e is sanded juuuuuuuust a little too far. I might need another bridge piece and a whole new set up but I don't want to invest anything in that until I'm sure that's the problem rather than a pick up problem (which I'm fearing it is).

If the saddle insert in the bridge has been sanded down(which may be the root of ALL the problems) it may not be getting good contact on the high E side (it may not be level now) causing loss of vibration.

Might want to order a new saddle & do a "set up" on the guitar, or take it to a tech & have him do it.

I use 13-56s on my EJ (non CE) and it sounds great.

Thanks so much!!! Y'all are so great!

I just loosened the string & pulled out the insert... I think you're right. It's not level, that's for sure. It's not too far off but it's definitely noticeable to the critical eye near the high e. It does come up a little bit on the regular E itself but much more noticable on the high e. As well, perhaps more of the problem is that it's not sitting 90º vertical, either. When I set it on the table it leans back, away from the neck. And, where the high e would cross, the sanding job is even worse. Only the front of the insert (closet to the neck) is making contact with the table. Why would any professional do that? Seems to me like it should be a basic thing to know how & to do... that is, leave the insert flat, level & flush. I'm sure the pressure of the strings helps to push it down but it's not optimal.

I'm definitely going to get another one and start over. I'd prefer to do it myself and I'd also prefer to upgrade the saddle insert, if at all possible but I've never done it before and might take it in to get done professionally. What are the materials they make them out of and can anyone offer some suggestions. I'm not afraid to spend money here... I assume there aren't too many options out there of quality build.

Thanks again!

You need to have a pro do this. A saddle for an undesaddle pickup has to be PERFECT or it won't work, as you know. And the bottom is not flat, just level. I like a slight taper for these saddles so as not to inhibit energy transfer to the pickup.

Archived