Gibson Brands Forums

very, very simple question

valis

bought an epiphone les paul 100 (the lefty model) and got a great deal on it from the local guitar shop. Problem is, the manual wasn't included and I am so musically daft I could misplay a triangle.

My main question is what are the four knobs on the body for? I figured one as volume, but the rest are greek, and no manuals seem to exist online. It's not critical yet, as I'm still learning the scales and chords, and don't need the guitar plugged in for that.

Thanks in advance,

v

2 are volume and 2 are tone, and the switch changes which pickup you are using.

The knobs on the top row, closets to the tailpiece are the volume knobs. Of those two knob, the closest to the neck is the volume for the neck pickup. The other is the volume for the bridge pickup.

The bottom two are tone knobs. The one closest to the neck is the tone knob and the other is the bridge tone knob.

When the switch is up, Rhythm, the neck pickup is working, when the switch is all the way down, Treble, teh bridge pickup is working. When the switch is in the middle both are on.

If the switch is in the middle position and one of the volume knobs is turned off, you won't hear any volume. Taht is the way it is wired, kind of lik e a kill switch. Some guys like it that way, and others don't.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi' date='

and welcome here,

so here is my very, very simple answer :)

http://epiphone.com/images/EpiOwnrsManul.pdf

if you can't find it out yourself[biggrin']

Peter

:)

very, very simple indeed. Cheers, mate. that did the trick.

Now, where can I learn how to play chords before my five year old beats me to it?

And finally, just to solidify my stupidity here, what exactly does bridge or neck pickup mean? I generally strum and muddle my way through with it on rhythm (no fancy stuff desired here, just want to be able to keep pace with mikey ness or joe strummer) and as such generally work through my pentatonics in that setting. IMHO, I doubt that neck or bridge pickup will mean doodely squat to me, at this stage, but it could very well be key to my growing as a musician in the future, and I want to make sure I don't overlook something that should have been taken care of at the start.

Ergo, now, when the best I can do is dust the damn thing off.

Again, many thanks, and peace.

v

Rhythm=neck

Treble=bridge

The pickup closest to the neck is the rhythm selection on your switch, which is what you have been playing.

The pickup closest to the "butt" of the guitar, or bridge is the treble selection.

Put the switch in the middle, you'll have both on.

Rhythm=neck

Treble=bridge

The pickup closest to the neck is the rhythm selection on your switch' date=' which is what you have been playing.

The pickup closest to the "butt" of the guitar, or bridge is the treble selection.

Put the switch in the middle, you'll have both on.

[/quote']

perfect.........and thanks.........I generally play at the neck end of it (hence the rhythm part), so that will not only make sense but also come more naturally.

Got a zillion other questions, such as how does Mr. Walsh make that chika sound, but those can wait quite easily. For now, off to chordland and making my fingers do the walking.

Again, thanks to all here. It's nice to know that I've at least got some guidance outside of youtube, eh wot?

peace,

v

Love Mike Ness and Mr Strummer

if you are playing with distortion i find that if you play with the switch in the middle (both pick ups on) that sounds good, then for solos switch to down or (bridge) pick up (Pup or PU) to cut through. This especially works if your using distortion. I pretty much never use the neck pup alone, and especially not with distortion on, it seems to get too muddy...

this is all just preference, you dont have to do that, whatever sounds good to u works

dont be shy to ask questions [cool]

oh and Horray for us Lefties

Archived