Gibson Brands Forums

Solderless pickup connection

jrc127

I ordered the 335 wiring harness for my Dot from MOJO over the weekend. I noticed that if you order pickups at the same time you can opt to spec "solderless connection."

Can I assume that this type of connection uses push-on wire terminals? If not, any idea how they make the connection "solderless?"

Is there any reason I couldn't use push-on connectors when I install the wiring from MOJO? That would make it much easier to install new pickups if I ever decide to change from the stock p'ups.

jrc

I ordered the 335 wiring harness for my Dot from MOJO over the weekend. I noticed that if you order pickups at the same time you can opt to spec "solderless connection."

Can I assume that this type of connection uses push-on wire terminals? If not' date=' any idea how they make the connection "solderless?"

Is there any reason I couldn't use push-on connectors when I install the wiring from MOJO? That would make it much easier to install new pickups if I ever decide to change from the stock p'ups.

jrc[/quote']

"Push-on" connectors are not universal. Here are several videos showing manufacturer-specific connectors:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

What I was thinking was to cut the wires between the p'ups and pots and install push-on terminals on each cut end. Then, if I change p'ups I could install terminals on the pup wires and just connect them to the wires from the pots.

I'm wondering if the terminals will cause noise, signal loss, tone problems, etc. Is there enough juice in coming from the pickups to cross the terminals to the pots?

I ordered a solderless option from Mojotone when I done my first mod on my first electric a Joe Pass.

One of the pins broke and I had to sort it. It was my fault, but beware they are easy to accidentally bend and if you bend them back they break.....

Personally, although I got it sorted they are very fragile and I would not do it again.

Though the pickups worked fine once I had sorted it. The Mojotone harnesses are first class.....

but aving experienced the solderless option I would prefer on all future mods to have them soldered correctly from the outset.

Just my 2 Swedish Krona worth.....

EDIT: Found a photo of my Mojotone harness you can see the thin tubes at the end ot the wires then on the pickups they have a pin that slots in...

ass.jpg

Don't feel bad Joe, I have tried it with every connector I could find, and they all suck. Every (almost) time someone comes in with issues with an active system, it winds up being one of those damned connectors. I warranty my work, so I refuse to replace the connector, and just hardwire the leads onto the circuit board. I never had to do that twice, but before that was my MO, I have replaced the same connector no less than six times over two years in a clients bass.

I've used these connectors successfuly under some very demanding circumstances with no problems:

g5_pic.jpg

They do have some drawbacks though:

1. Cost is about $500 a set.

2. They take expensive specialized crimping tools and many hours to wire.

3. They won't fit in most guitars.

But for reliability, there's nothing better.

:-k

The solderless contacts are a fine electrical contact method. The aircraft industry has been using them for over 50 years. They are a fine method for a musical instrument which will not see severe service. No rain, no ice, no temperature extremes, no mechanical shocks, no temperature shocks, no lightening stikes, etc.

Now, they may not survive handling that well by untrained installers. But if you think your way through it they are a fine mechanism. I haven't replaced the pickups in my guitar yet but I will use a connection between the pots & pickups. I like the EMG style connectors but I don't want to pay for the crimp style connectors, back-shells, & tools. So I will probably find a more practical solution elsewhere. I'm thinking Molex connectors for starters. There are also spring style terminal blocks that will also work well at reasonable cost & don't require special tools.

I haven't looked at the "mojotone" wiring harness but now I'm curious & probably will. There are also 1 or 2 PWB manufacturers for Strat pickguards. The designs look very good but they are too pricey for me. I'll probably just make my own interconnects.

Good Luck

I'm wondering if the terminals will cause noise' date=' signal loss, tone problems, etc. Is there enough juice in coming from the pickups to cross the terminals to the pots?

[/quote']

No, not as far as I can tell. I have 4 pin molex connectors on mine because they are

cheap to buy and find in most corner electronic stores. The connections are tin plated

so I suppose over time they could corrode, but if you wrap the connector halves with

electrical tape, then there is less chance of any air getting at the pins and you will be

fine.

Archived