Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rod question...

childofthefence

I recently decided to move up from .10-.46 strings to .11-.48's on my '05 LP Special II. When I put the new strings on, I was getting some substantial buzz. I checked the action and was surprised to find that it was lower that it was with the lighter strings, so I raised the bridge slightly. This didn't totally correct the problem, but it helped some, so I raised the bridge a little more. The buzz was still there so I went to adjust the truss rod, only to find that the truss rod nut was completely loose. After that I gave the guitar a week to adjust to the heavier strings, thinking the neck would bow a little, but when I checked after that week, nothing had changed. The neck appears to be just about as straight as can be, even though the truss rod nut is completely loose. Any suggestions?

I recently decided to move up from .10-.46 strings to .11-.48's on my '05 LP Special II. When I put the new strings on' date=' I was getting some substantial buzz. I checked the action and was surprised to find that it was [i'][/i]lower that it was with the lighter strings, so I raised the bridge slightly. This didn't totally correct the problem, but it helped some, so I raised the bridge a little more. The buzz was still there so I went to adjust the truss rod, only to find that the truss rod nut was completely loose. After that I gave the guitar a week to adjust to the heavier strings, thinking the neck would bow a little, but when I checked after that week, nothing had changed. The neck appears to be just about as straight as can be, even though the truss rod nut is completely loose. Any suggestions?

Not sure I know exactly what you are saying in that the truss rod nut is loose. Do you mean stripped or is the rod no longer attached to the nut?

Sheila

Usually heavier gauge strings will "pull" the neck to

the front of the guitar a bit, causing higher action

due to a "front-bowing" of neck. have you sighted down the strings

or used an 18" straight-edge ruler to verify neck IS straight?

I'm with Sheila on this one - Is the truss rod nut STILL on the threads,

or will it just "fall out" if you hold the guitar upside down?

Did anyone do any Monster Tweaking on truss rod (overtightening)

at any time that may have caused it to snap? Looking for info here....

Neither the nut or truss rod itself are stripped. I removed the nut to check the threads on both and they look fine. As of right now the nut is just tightened enough so that it doesn't rattle around. As far as I know, the truss rod has never been damaged, but I bought it at a local pawn shop so I don't really know much about the guitar's past. It played very nicely before I bumped up the string gauge. The part that confuses me is that the heavier strings didn't increase the bow of the neck. I haven't checked with a straight edge but looking down the neck, it seems to be almost exactly parallel with the strings.

Your git is acting "bass-ackwards" for what a heavier gauge

of string should do. What FRETS are you getting the buzzing

on?

Regarding the truss rod nut, it's tightened to where it doesn't rattle.

OK, are you able to TIGHTEN it a little at all to where you can FEEL it

beginning to have resistance, or does it spin freely with little resistance?

Looking for symptoms.....

I suggest you bite the bullet and take it in for a set up. Ever hear of the blind leading the blind, you are headed down that path my friend. A good guitar tech will give you some pointers on maintaining your guitar AFTER he/she gets it all balanced out, but you have to start with a good set up. It sounds like you have too much relief in your neck from what you describe, I just think you don't know what to look for, it takes a trained eye to see a relief of .010" over a neck.

The buzzing is happening from frets 4-11. If I were to tighten the truss rod it wouldn't turn freely. There is definitely resistance. I will likely end up taking it in to a pro. I'm still relatively new to guitar maintenance and i wouldn't feel comfortable doing anything other than really minor adjustments without consulting someone who really knows what they're doing. i was hoping there would be some simple fix that I wasn't aware of but if not i'd rather spend a little money now on a quality setup than have to buy another guitar.

I suggest you bite the bullet and take it in for a set up. Ever hear of the blind leading the blind' date=' you are headed down that path my friend.[/b'] A good guitar tech will give you some pointers on maintaining your guitar AFTER he/she gets it all balanced out, but you have to start with a good set up. It sounds like you have too much relief in your neck from what you describe, I just think you don't know what to look for, it takes a trained eye to see a relief of .010" over a neck.

Hey! I wear glasses!! :-({|=

Fence, Musikron is right (and a professional at guitar repair) and his advice should be heeded! Take the guitar in and let us know how it works out.

Sheila

I'm getting to need glasses in my old age!

Glasses suck, trust me. I'd get lasik, but my insurance don't cover it. Contacts are out of the question for me, I got a problem sticking ANYTHING in my eye(s), but I digress.

Archived