Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II

Talou_iz_good

As far as I know, this model is still currently produced. I don't know whether they are distributed in France, but here's one dealer in the UK that seems to have them: http://en.euroguitar.com/guitar/mod/epiphone/emperor-587/

Joe Samick and several other European members here have them, I'm sure they'll chime in momentarily.

Don't forget that the Joe Pass model is essentially an Epiphone Emperor, so if you can find one of those, it's the same thing, but without the signature on the pickguard.

Sincères salutations, Brian

As far as I know' date=' this model is still currently produced. I don't know whether they are distributed in France, but here's one dealer in the UK that seems to have them: http://en.euroguitar.com/guitar/mod/epiphone/emperor-587/

Joe Samick and several other European members here have them, I'm sure they'll chime in momentarily.

Don't forget that the Joe Pass model is essentially an Epiphone Emperor, so if you can find one of those, it's the same thing, but without the signature on the pickguard.

Sincères salutations, Brian[/quote']

Brian;

The JP is not exactly the same as the Epiphone Emperor and perhaps it should remain that way.

The Epiphone Emperor (NYC) was equivalent to the Gibson Super 400...a big 18" bout guitar

and 3 inches (or so thick). Les Paul in the 40s played one and that is why he ended up

in Epiphone's NYC factory on weekends working on developing his "20lb log".

The Emp II is a plywood (ok laminate construction) whereas the Emperor was hand carved

and tapped, spruce top and maple back. This was done similar to the way Gibson made

Lloyd Loar's famous L5 archtop.

The Emp II is closer to the ES-175 than the NYC Emperor, of which it bears it name.

The scale is 24.75 inches vs the Emperor's 25.5 inches. and the

JP is just a model where the 3-way switch was moved up to the upper treble bout (ES-175

style) because Joe Pass preferred the ES-175, another plywood laminate jazz guitar.

Gibson did offer/make an Epiphone thinline with 3 minibuckers in their 63 catalogue but

these are extremely scarce. These are worth their weight in gold as they say.

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/EpiphoneEmperor.php

Hi.

I'm french and i'm interested by the Joe Pass Epiphone.

But i don't find a dealer which sell this guitar.

So i wonder if this guitar is always manufactured ?[biggrin]

Thanks for your ansmers !

There's Thomann, if you're OK with ordering on-line.

The Emp II is a plywood (ok laminate construction) whereas the Emperor was hand carved

and tapped' date=' spruce top and maple back. This was done similar to the way Gibson made

Lloyd Loar's famous L5 archtop.

The Emp II is closer to the ES-175 than the NYC Emperor, of which it bears it name.

The scale is 24.75 inches vs the Emperor's 25.5 inches. and the

JP is just a model where the 3-way switch was moved up to the upper treble bout (ES-175

style) because Joe Pass preferred the ES-175, another plywood laminate jazz guitar. [/quote']

Carver, I guess I should know that since I have an Emperor II.

My bad.

Archived