Gibson Brands Forums

Finally got my Bigsby fitted

incredibledisc

i noticed you didn't change your bridge to a roller.

how are you liking it so far.

The luthier seemed unimpressed with the idea of a roller when I mentioned it and pointed out that Gibson often don't use them. Only had a short time to play about with it but tuning seems relatively stable unlss you really wail on the bar, new strings too so they might still be stretching a bit as well

Can't see it in pics.. what did he do to cover the extra hole on the low e and high e sides.. where the old holes were for the stop tail?

I used a small piece of aluminum and buffed it out on the low e side. and a small piece of guard material on the high e side. since it was a smaller area and under the arm anyway.

Love a bigs on an lp.. very cool!

I went with roller bridge and locking tuners. overkill probably but I was having fun.

She's currently disassembled while I wire up two new switches I drilled holes for.. they are 3pDTs.. so I have each pup able to be single coil, series humbuck and parallel humbuck. plus the usual three way for combinations.

low e hole patch

elpstbid3.jpg

high e hole patch

elpstbigsfix1.jpg

elpstbigsfix2.jpg

I went roller for the main reason that string travel over the saddles is greater with a bigs than with bending.. and more frequent, for most users.

That means more string wear, and increased chance of string breaking, as well as tuning hassles.

I think the locking tuners were overkill, and I kept the graphite nut on for quite a while, too.

If I were going to say choose one item of those it would be the roller bridge.

Maybe the nut, too. since travel there is greatly facilitated by that slick material.

But it depends at least in part on your set up. the notches in your saddles.. the angle over the saddles..

Can't see it in pics.. what did he do to cover the extra hole on the low e and high e sides.. where the old holes were for the stop tail?

I used a small piece of aluminum and buffed it out on the low e side. and a small piece of guard material on the high e side. since it was a smaller area and under the arm anyway.

Love a bigs on an lp.. very cool!

I went with roller bridge and locking tuners. overkill probably but I was having fun.

She's currently disassembled while I wire up two new switches I drilled holes for.. they are 3pDTs.. so I have each pup able to be single coil' date=' series humbuck and parallel humbuck. plus the usual three way for combinations.

low e hole patch

[img']http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff83/TWANGthang/My%20EPIS/elpstbid3.jpg[/img]

high e hole patch

elpstbigsfix1.jpg

elpstbigsfix2.jpg

he didn't do anything - in fact he put a plug in one of the post holes to attach it - you can just make out the other hole if you look close enough

he just left dowel showing on a nice guitar like that?

he's a bum.

tell him I said so.

oh I see. I zoomed in..

he didn't even remove the old bushing.

He should have pulled the bushing. made a dowel fit to the top.. then capped it with

matching material.

Since I do this stuff for a living myself.. mind if I ask what he charged you to install that?

Archived