Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup wiring help please. New jackson mod pics too

Hi there I put my ibanez stock pups into a jackson project guitar im working on and was wondering if id wired them right.

The ibanez pup has 3 wires, Red, White and Bare.

When they were in my ibanez they were single coil split in position 2 and 4 on a 5 way switch. I cant remember how they were wired so hence the question.

I want to just have them as full humbuckers. If im right the red wire is the finish of one coil either slug or screw and the white is the finish of the other coil. So to have a full humbuckler i connect the red and white together and the bare is the earth.

Sound right to you guys???

Removed the jackson pups as they were really muddy and fitted my ibanez INF3 & INF4 pups as there pretty good stock pups. Also i fitted a V plate instead of the ferrules as before. And put on black switch tip and knobs too.

Before

DSC02845.jpg

After

DSC02852.jpg

DSC02851.jpg

The ibanez pup has 3 wires' date=' Red, White and Bare.

I want to just have them as full humbuckers. If im right the red wire is the finish of one coil either slug or screw and the white is the finish of the other coil. So to have a full humbuckler i connect the red and white together and the bare is the earth.[/quote']

Are you sure there's not another wire? For a non-split humbucker, usually the red and white are soldered together and taped off, the bare is ground/earth and there's a fourth wire that is signal positive/hot. Sometimes there's a fifth wire that is bussed to ground as well.

Pics would help...

Just checked. Only red, white and bare. Ive connected the red and white together and it goes to the switch and it sounds ok. If i pull off either red or white and touch to ground the sound thins out. Im guessing as single coil sound?

This chart shows what i have under ibanez

http://www.guitar-repairs.co.uk/guitar_pickup_colour_codes.htm

Also this chart says red is tapped output

http://www.skguitar.com/SKGS/sk/Pickup%20color%20codes.htm

Ok sussed it.

Only connect the white wire and the output is full. With both connected its more thin. My last post must be wrong.

Wierd how they do 2 wire and earth and do coil splitting. Only pickups ive seen like that??

Thanks

Oh how do you like the mods?

Archived