Gibson Brands Forums

EL 00 upgrade question

RandyO

Hi All,

Forum newb here with a question about my new EL 00. I'd like to do some upgrades and would like to start with the saddle, strings and possibly pins and a nut. Any suggestions would be appreciated, such as bone vs Tusq, etc. I'd love to hear from someone that has done one and been pleased with it. Also, where is a good place to order a saddle, pins, etc.

Thanks so much, your input would be very appreciated.

Randy

If you don't have an under-saddle pickup or are not going to use one, the first thing I'd do is put in a bone saddle. Easy to install. Try Colosi bone, he probably has one precut and with a little sanding, which is easy, you can do the upgrade yourself. I would then have the instrument set-up by a pro with a bone nut and finally install some ebony or boxwood pins which are not too much and you can do this yourself as well.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

I'd invest in and try different sets and type (brands) of strings too.

Try Martins, D'Add's, GHS, Slinky's etc. and don't forget different gaged strings too: lights -vs- mediums -vs- blue-grass or Heavy bottoms etc.

I wanted to do something similar on my Masterbilt but my shop guy suggested a string change. I like the Martin Acoustic SP (meds) on this one and D'add lights on another.

/.02 cents.

Hi All' date='

Forum newb here with a question about my new EL 00. I'd like to do some upgrades and would like to start with the saddle, strings and possibly pins and a nut. Any suggestions would be appreciated, such as bone vs Tusq, etc. I'd love to hear from someone that has done one and been pleased with it. Also, where is a good place to order a saddle, pins, etc.

Thanks so much, your input would be very appreciated.

Randy[/quote']

Some have suggested here that the string spacing on the nut could be expanded. For finger-picking, at least, I think that would be a good idea when you replace the nut. Apparently there's enough room up there to do this.

Archived