Gibson Brands Forums

Emperor VS

Wes1971

Hi,

I'm going to buy an Emperor VS, the serial # is : 9072925

I would like to know if it's real that was made in Korea and the eletronics part are japanese.

I also presume that was made in 1989....

Thank you for the answer.

some pics:

emperorvs1.jpg

emperorvs2.jpg

emperorvs3.jpg

emperorvs4.jpg

emperorvs5.jpg

bye

Angelo

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made in

Korea

July c.1989

Production Number: 2925

Thank you brianh, I've got the same information.....

I'd like to know if the elettronic parts are made in Japan or what the instrument manufacturer is......

I'm also looking for a web site where I can find more photos of the model made in 80s-90s....

in the web I've found only this document: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nODlYylv2E&feature=related

which is the right price?

thank you

bye

Angelo

Thank you brianh' date=' I've got the same information.....

I'd like to know if the elettronic parts are made in Japan or what the instrument manufacturer is......

I'm also looking for a web site where I can find more photos of the model made in 80s-90s....

in the web I've found only this document: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nODlYylv2E&feature=related

thank you

bye

Angelo

[/quote']

Hi Angelo

The only other forum member who owns an Emperor II as opposed to a "Joe Pass" is Carverman......I very nearly bought an Emperor before settling on my Zephyr....I owned a "Joe Pass" really great guitar...so I am sure your Emperor will bring you great joy.....try sending a PM (Private Mail) to Carverman. I would imagine the internal electronics are Korean and I would very strongly advise you to change the harness....I did this on my "Joe Pass" and it made an immense difference..you can read about my experience here...

http://www.josephcooper.eu/rewiring-my-epiphone-joe-pass.html

Good Luck and welcome to the forum

Hi Angelo

The only other forum member who owns an Emperor as opposed to a "Joe Pass" is Carverman......I very nearly bought an Emperor before settling on my Zephyr....I owned a "Joe Pass" really great guitar...so I am sure your Emperor will bring you great joy.....try sending a PM (Private Mail) to Carverman. I would imagine the internal electronics are Korean and I would very strongly advise you to change the harness....I did this on my "Joe Pass" and it made an immense difference..you can read about my experience here...

Yes' date=' I had one of the original Emp IIs with the switch located in a cutaway in the VS.

They were made by Samick in Korea back then. Mine was a 91 model according to the

sn sticker. I modified mine with Kluson tulip tuners, GFS vintage 59's, gfs t-o-m bridge

and the jazz tailpiece. I replaced the scratchy pots with alpha pots /vintage wiring

and .047 orange drops. A nice sounding and playing guitar, but since I already have a Joe Pass Emp II,

the two Samick made guitars were too much the same, so I sold the VS to a deserving player about a year ago.

[img']http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb302/carverDan1/1991EPIEmperorGibson.jpg[/img]

OK carverman thank you for your information. I think that I will buy this guitar' date=' then I will tell you my impressions.....

which is the right price?

bye

Angelo[/quote']

The price for a used one will depend on where you live. In North America, I got this

one with a hardshell case on E-Bay for around $420 US + shipping to a specific

place on the Canada/US border. Then I had to pay 13% taxes on the converted

US value. Eventually I spent around $175 to $200 cdn on better pickups, wiring

tailpiece, tuning pegs and a new tailpiece.,,so there is a bit of an investment.

but certainly from appearance and playabiity even the stock guitar with a VS

finish is worth at least $400 US these days..they are not making that

VS finish and certainly not the model with the switch in the cutaway.

Ahem..well Ok' date=' it's a Regent, but it's still an Emperor...[/quote']

very nice "Emperor Regent" ;-)

I've found the same model made in 1995 (in Korea by Samick I presume), but the seller says that was made in Japan, is it possible?

I don't have the serial number, but I have this photo:

emperorregent.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

very nice "Emperor Regent" ;-)

I've found the same model made in 1995 (in Korea by Samick I presume)' date=' but the seller says that was made in Japan, is it possible?

I don't have the serial number, but I have this photo:

emperorregent.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nope, not in Japan, unless it's an Elitist...and if it is one of those, the price will go up significantly.

OK thanks' date=' I presume[u'] rights [/u]:-)

bye

Angelo

Not rights, just where the Terada Factory was located in Japan, where most of the Elitist guitars were made, the serial number would usually include a "T" , and those are highly sought after, if the seller can e-mail you the number, quietly, without announcing to the world what it is, you might have a theft on your hands, if you play your cards right....:D

One nut is still one nut' date=' not gonna be two. [cool']

Anywho, the regent is bigger than the empII.

So to recap: the bodies are different, the pickups are different, the tops are different, the tailpiece is different....

So why are they both "Emperors"? Maybe same neck?

Just curious...

I've found the same model made in 1995 (in Korea by Samick I presume)' date=' but the seller says that was made in Japan, is it possible?[/quote']

Not if that's a photo of the item in question - it's Korean.

Ask for the serial number....

So to recap: the bodies are different' date=' the pickups are different, the tops are different, the tailpiece is different....

Just curious...

[/quote']

Emp I and then later, an Emp II, Epi's design, modeled after the Byrdland to some extent, with the exception of the smaller scale, which would have opened the doors for lawsuits. The tailpieces on the byrds, and the empII, and Joe Pass, are fairly close.

So to recap: the bodies are different' date=' the pickups are different, the tops are different, the tailpiece is different....

Just curious...

[/quote']

Traditionally, the Emperor was the top of the line jazz box from Epiphone NYC.

Just like Gibson, they evolved some of the models to become Regents,

which was Epi's way of describing a cutaway model back then.

So it evolved to Zephyr Emperor Regent in the mid 50s, just before

being bought out by Gibson in '57.

The Regent description has stuck ever since.

The original Emperor was a big jazz box..similar to a Super 400, because before

pickups came along, the guitarists in big band era needed a lot of volume to

be heard over the brass.

Somewheres in time Gibson came along and reduced it back to the ES-175 size

and it was then called Emperor II, similary with the original Sheraton which

became the Sheraton II.

Sheraton, AFAIK, was never a original Epiphone model like Zephyr, Deluxe,

or Emperor.

Hi Angelo

This is the Emperor II I very nearly bought..........it was a beauty and came with a case........€307 us$392 but at the same time a blonde Zephyr Blues Deluxe became available.....was hankering for P90's. Also limited for space and "hobby" funds....

So, went for the Zephyr.....I posted on the forum in the hope some other forum member would snatch this beautiful Emperor II.

9405966463.jpg

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=14754

Wes1971 wrote:

OK thanks, I presume rights :-)

Not rights' date=' just where the Terada Factory was located in Japan, where most of the Elitist guitars were made, the serial number would usually include a "T" , and those are highly sought after, if the seller can e-mail you the number, quietly, without announcing to the world what it is, you might have a theft on your hands, if you play your cards right....[blink] [/quote']

Thanks simps I had a mistake writing "rights".....

I think that what you wrote it's right, but I don't believe that in the 1995 Epiphone made the "Elitist" version of this guitar (or not?)....

I have an italian magazine (Guitar Club) of septemeber 1995 where this model was shown for the first time in italy.

bye

Angelo

Traditionally' date=' the Emperor was the top of the line jazz box from Epiphone NYC.

Just like Gibson, they evolved some of the models to become Regents,

which was Epi's way of describing a cutaway model back then.

So it evolved to Zephyr Emperor Regent in the mid 50s, just before

being bought out by Gibson in '57.

The Regent description has stuck ever since.

The original Emperor was a big jazz box..similar to a Super 400, because before

pickups came along, the guitarists in big band era needed a lot of volume to

be heard over the brass.

Somewheres in time Gibson came along and reduced it back to the ES-175 size

and it was then called Emperor II, similary with the original Sheraton which

became the Sheraton II.

Sheraton, AFAIK, was never a original Epiphone model like Zephyr, Deluxe,

or Emperor.

[/quote']

thank you for your clear information [blink]

bye

Angelo