Gibson Brands Forums

The New DR-500MCE

Mike54

Update.... I just received a call from GC. They told me that the VS is not orderable... I called Epiphone and they said it was. I also brought up the case issue again with Epiphone, and apparently even Epiphone is not sure whether it's supposed to come with a case. I tried to point out to the extremely RUDE customer service person exactly where to go on the Epiphone web site where it says that it includes a Hard Case, but he wouldn't do it. He just kept telling me that it didn't. I am not sure what to do. I REALLY wanted the VS not the Natural, while I am happy with the tone of the Natural, I didn't want the natural. I have several other acoustic guitars in a natural finish that I like... I didn't need another one, so it's going back to guitar center. The bummer thing is that I traded in an older Ibanez that I didn't play much but sounded great and was in great shape...again the goal was to walk away with a sunburst acoustic. I know they have already sold my Ibanez, so I can't get that back.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have ordered DR-500MCE VS a few weeks ago in my countries official epiphone seller's store. And I don't know how long will I have to wait. But I've found this on the Thomann page. It's a well known Europe's online music equipment store. Until a week ago it was out of stock and now it says that the shipment will arrive on July 10 2009.

Here's the link if someone is interested: http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_dr_500mce_vs.htm

Just checked the Epiphone web site again, and the DR-500MCE no longer includes the case. Anyone that got the free case, got a nice bonus! I am returning the Natural to GC today. I found the VS for $50.00 cheaper than I paid for the Natural at a little shop in Denton, TX. All of his guitars (if purchased through him) include a free set up. I should have it late this afternoon or evening. I will take some pics and post them when I can.

The included case is no longer listed on the GC.com site or Musiciansfriend site. And for the last week or so, the price on GC.com was reduced to $549.99, with the case. The first thing I looked for when I saw the price reduction was to see if the case was still included, which it was.

So let's re-cap - The official Epiphone website shows the sunburst model, and for "Colors" it ONLY lists "Sunburst", no "Natural", starts off by only having the Natural available for order/purchase but does include the case, one outlet- (GC)- has a price reduction for a hot minute (with a case), then the free case goes away, the price goes back up, still no definitive info on when the sunburst will be on the street. Various replies from Epiphone/Gibson, but still nothing we can hang our collective hats on. Did I forget anything?

This thread has kind of rollercoastered with questions, answers, hopes, anticipation, some great initial reviews, more questions, disappointment, more hope, and now I'm feeling more disapppointment, personally, and in the thread.

What could have been a wave of enthusiasm and rave reviews for a great new product is sort of turning into an "Oh crap, what now?" vibe.

I gotta say, Epiphone could have handled this release a little better.

So TxStrat, have you actually seen, held, played the VS, or have you been told they'd order it for you?

Mike54,

Yes, Yes and here are the pics. Sorry for the poor quality, been an long ugly day at work and didn't have time to charge the battery on the good camera, so I used my cell phone camera. I've gotta say that I am REALLY glad that I was persistent and found the VS. Sky Guitars in Denton, TX had two of them, but like I mentioned in my previous post they also include a "set up" with every guitar sold. He didn't like the neck on the first one he pulled out. He couldn't get it adjusted right (I think most places probably would have let it fly out the door, but this is the kind of service you get when a Luthier opens a guitar shop), so he got out the other one. I was really surporised how much he was able to lower the action... it plays like butter.... Also, I don't know if it's just because I really like the VS a lot, but I swear this one sounds even better than the Natural that I bought from GC. Maybe it's because it was set up correctly.

IMG_0212.jpg

Here it is in it's new home, next to the Breedlove. Again, sorry for the poor quality. I will charge camera and take some better pics this weekend.

IMG_0213.jpg

Oh and it did NOT come with the case, but they gave me $20.00 off the price of the case. Once I took a look at it I decided to get it.

Hey TxStrat thanks for the pics and congratulations on your purchase. I think that you are one of the first owners of the VS. I am so glad that you like it that much. How did the luthier lower your action? Just by adjusting the truss rod or something else? I think you've got yourself a really fine instrument there. Once again, thanks for the post/s man.

Wow...that is elegant!! [biggrin]

PLEASE post some better pics...I'm a photographer and I'm getting a headache! [biggrin]

This case issue is rediculous! It sounds like a classic right hand-left hand thing. It seems to me if any one of the websites said a case is included when you place the order, then you sure ought to get one. [biggrin]

Photography tip: Take the guitar and stand outside and place it in an area without direct sunlight...better yet, a slightly overcast sky. That way you don't need to use flash and you can set a lower ISO for better, less grainy quality. Using direct flash on a shiny object will produce a big hot spot from the flash refelction.

When you frame the photo, use portrait orientation (verticle) and frame the guitar so it's diagonal...that way you can get closer. It doesn't matter in this case if the background is tilted.

Here's an example:

4688463733_7833c7f360.jpg

Hi All,

Yet another Guitar Center story.

I ordered a new DR-500MCE on Monday morning from Guitar Center on line. Price: $549.99 including 940-EDREAD case. The price and "including ... case" was on the web site for at least a week or more.

It shipped Tuesday (1 Package) and I received it Thursday. One box, just the guitar. No mention of backordered or other items on the paperwork.

I checked the GC web site and lo and behold the price was now $599.99 and there was no case included!

I called GC and asked about the case. The service rep said, "What case?" I explained what the web site said when I ordered it and noted that it no longer says case included. Rep, "Please hold."...

After a long time the rep returned and said "We can send you the case that Epi usually sends out - the Epiphone Epiphone Ultralight Masterbuilt Dreadnought Hardshell Case with Hygrometer." I asked for the part number and looked it up. It looked a bit like a gig-bag. The price $59.99. The price of the 940-EDREAD case is $89.99.

I asked about the price difference. Rep, "It is a much better case for a better price."

I said, "Well, I did research the 940-EDREAD prior to buying. It was a factor in my decision to buy."

Rep, "Please hold."...

After a long time the Rep returned and agreed to send the 940-EDREAD case. No charge, shipping included. The Rep didn't sound happy. I asked about expedited shipment so I wouldn't have to store my new investment in a cardboard box. NO was the answer.

Okay, I'll settle for that.

Now, lets see what shows up next week. I hope the guitar fits well in the case.

-bP55

First Impressions of the new DR-500MCE

My other acoustic guitar is a ~1973 vintage Madiera (Japanese Guild) A 30M. It has a bone nut and saddle installed by a guitar shop back in the late 1970's. I'm used to playing Silk&Steel and once in a while light gauge bronze strings.

The DR-500MCE looked very nice. Fit and finish was just about flawless. I was impressed that batteries were included since it was detuned about 1 step out of the cardboard box.

Intonation from my ear and the on board tuner was very good.

Sound quality was good. I plugged into my guitar amp and thought the pickups and pre-amp sounded good. I was dissappointed that it amplified all my little mistakes. :-

The action was a bit on the high side and the strings seemed heavier than I was used to. I played it for about an hour in this process and my arm and hand were a little sore.

Question:

What gauge strings come from the factory?

Has anyone put lighter gauge (or better quality) strings on?

I want to play it as it came a little more to be sure I am 100% satisfied before I change the strings.

Thanks,

-bP55

First Impressions of the new DR-500MCE

What gauge strings come from the factory?

Has anyone put lighter gauge (or better quality) strings on?

I want to play it as it came a little more to be sure I am 100% satisfied before I change the strings.

I've had my DR-500MCE about four weeks now. I waited about two weeks and then put on a set of Ernie Ball Earthwood Extra Lights (10-50). I also sanded the bottom of the saddle SLIGHTLY to lower the action.

All this improved the playability but I noticed that the Earthwoods lack the fullness on the base strings that the stock strings had which were heavier.

Also' date=' I think there is room for the action to go lower, but I won't attempt this myself...I'll take it to a luthier.

BTW, here, according to the Epiphone website, are the stock string gauges:

http://www.epiphone.com/images/StringGauges.pdf

If this is correct, then the stock strings on the 500 are 12-52.

[img']http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4693231267_feda8aefb9.jpg[/img]

Here's a funny pulled by yours truly:

I had never owned an electric/acoustic before this DR-500MCE, so that's my excuse! [blink]

Around four or five days after I got the instrument, I got a low battery indication on the eSonic2. My first thought was geez...do these things eat batteries like this??

I figured either that or the set that came with the guitar were weak. I decided (duh) to RTFM...and found out that as long as the guitar is plugged into an amp, the preamp in the eSonic2 is on. Between sessions, I would turn off the amp and put the guitar in its stand, just like an electric, and keep it plugged in....WRONG! [biggrin]

So, after a new fresh set of 2032's I now know better. BTW, those batteries are very common and easy to find...I got mine at the local Rite-Aid drug store here in town.

Hey, you're never too old to learn! :-k

BP55

If it's the Masterbuilt Case you will not be disappointed. I ended up having to buy mine but I got it for 69.99....and it's worth every penny. I am going to take some better pics of my Vintage Sunburst DR-500mce this afternoon and I will include some pics of the case. I had the action lowered quite a bit and it plays and sounds great. I didn't complain too much about not getting the case free when the owner of the store told me that his price included the setup (which included lowering the action). Most shops around here with a good luthier charge 35-50 dollars for a setup.

Tommyb.... Just an FYI, that's the case on any guitar with active electronics(including electric guitars with "active electronics"). If it's plugged in it's on.

Yep, it's a nice case, worth all the hassle...a hassle we shouldn't have to endure, but that's been discussed.

It fits the guitar very snug around the body...it looks like it would only fit a guitar with the exact same dimensions. Nice, thick velvet, and the outer shell seems well made and could take some abuse.

BTW, some have complained about the chemical smell...yes, it's a strong odor but all I did was let mine open for about a week and the odor is nearly gone.

TxStrat...live electronics! OK, lesson learned. A tiny indicator light would be a nice touch touch. But then, that would also lessen battery life.

Thanks for the feedback folks!

TommyB - I feel you on the battery thing. I had a similar experience with my ESP LTD bass a few years ago. I left it plugged in on the stand and one day it was dead. Duhhhhh A few screws and a 9V battery later I was back in business and enlightened. I did do a quick read on the Esonic manual and I didn't see it say explicitly about unplugging the cord (I bet it matters), but I did see that you should make sure the tuner is turned OFF. [cool]

After my second hour of playing it (I've been busy) it is starting to feel more familiar.

I did notice today that there is a bit of 60 Hz hum from the preamp when I turned up the volume. The cable from the NanoMag looked a bit weird. It had what looked like exposed ground shield? When I touch it the hum goes away. Also if I move the slide all the way to NonoMag it goes away. Any thoughts?

-bP55

bp55:

You got me to wondering about that wire...I just noticed last night that you can see the wire leading from the NaoMag but I thought that was normal. I'll check on the hum thing too.

Look at the top of page 2 in the eSonic manual: "when you insert an instrument cord into the output of your guitar, the eSonic preamp turns on. Although it uses a very small amount of power, to prolong battery life unplug the cord from your guitar when not in use".

I blew right by that one the first time. I was more interested in how to set and adjust the tone controls I guess!

Hi Penluis,

Welcome to the forum. I haven't had a chance to play the ..500MCE yet. I jam several times a month with a few friends, and its actually one of them who ordered the Vintage Sunburst from the GC here in Reno. But I'm sure I'll get a fair amount of playing time when it gets here. I have a Martin DMXE that I'd like to sell and put that money towards the new Epi, but for the time being I'll probably just settle for being able to play it a lot. Looks like all of the retailers are out of stock until July, so we're hoping the July shipments will include the VS. I'll be reporting and posting some photos when my friend takes delivery. He's already said first stop after leaving GC will be my house.

And regarding strings, I've tried Martins, Elixers, fresh Gibson Masterbuilts, and others, but in my humble opinion, the D'Addario Light, EXP 16, coated phosphor bronze 12-53 give me the best sound and tone. Having said that, I don't play my acoustic/electric Martin very much, and I've never compared strings plugged/unplugged, and others on these forums have much more experience with strings that work well either way.

Regarding lowering the action by sanding the bottom of the saddle, there was some exchanges here not long ago about that. People here, again who know much more about it than I, remind that there could be several reasons for high action, so just lowering the saddle in not always the first solution. But I've done it on a couple of guitars, and the things I look for are straight neck, proper string fit in the nut, and check the high E and B strings for how much break there is over the saddle. If those two strings are almost straight out of the bridge and over the saddle, you probably should take it to a luthier. But if you do want to sand the saddle a hair, after you take the saddle out, take a pencil and make a mark about the width of a business card on each end of the saddle, tape extra fine sandpaper down to a table top, hold the saddle absolutely flat on the sandpaper, and sand slowly until you see the pencil marks touching the sandpaper. Reinstall it and tune it and play it for a while. It's worth it to have to repeat this two or three times rather than over sand.

I ordered my DR-500MCE last weekend, while the included case was still listed by Musicians Friend and Epiphone. The listing on both web pages changed and deleted the included case several days after I ordered. When I emailed MF about it I got a prompt (within minutes) reply and they offered me the case at a great discount, or the Musicians Gear case, which was on sale, at no charge. The Musicians Gear case came in a tweed "retro" cover, and I jumped at the chance to get that one. It took a little longer to get the case, but in the end I am much happier. My new guitar, a free case, free shipping, and I got it all at the Memorial Day sale price. I couldn't do much better than that!

Turns out that Epi's web site was the cause of this whole mess about the case. All of the dealers who sell this jewel use the information straight off the manufacturer’s web site. Epi, or any manufacturer for that matter, makes a mistake on their page, and it migrates onto all of the others. I found it odd while doing my research, that the 500MCE was the only Masterbilt to come with a case... live and learn.

This guitar is a joy to play, the tone is better than my $2000.00 Takamine, and the action just required a quick adjust of the relief in the neck. I did have to install a strap button on the neck, but that’s minor. I checked the intonation, and it is close, but not perfect, a Graph tech fully compensated Tusk saddle will cure that and a Tusk nut and bridge pins installed at the same time and this guitar will sing like an angel. The upgrades are not neccessary, but adding them will make it "mine". She looks great, feels great, plays great, starting to get the picture?

Last point, one of the guys from Musicians Friend saw my first very unhappy post on here about the case issue. He wrote me and offered to help in any way he could. This was completely independent of the emails I sent to customer service. I didn't need the help, as the lady at MF was very easy to work with, and she offered me a compromise that I was happy with. That being said, I thought it was kind of cool that a MF employee would contact me and offer to help out.

Archived