Gibson Brands Forums

I wonder if Epi will ever make a version of the Dave Grohl DG335

Stig

I'll offer an "olde pharte" reaction to the pic, Stig. In the 1960s, that body with the diamond F holes and the six-on-a-side tuners was the Gibson "Trini Lopez" model. I don't know much about Mr. Grohl, but I guess he had a Trini at one point, or liked the design, in any case!

Based on the pic of the recent reissue by Gibson (here), it appears the '60s Trini had a trapeze tailpiece rather than the stop tailpiece on the model your post shows.

Old Ampeg Guy

I don't know much about Mr. Grohl' date=' but I guess he had a Trini at one point, or liked the design, in any case![/quote']

I'm not particularly a fan of Grohl as a guitarist, but I do believe he played a Trini for a while, until Gibson tossed him one with his name on it.

Now if only I could get my signature Explorer.. [biggrin]

I don't care about a Grohl or Lopez model. I like the uber-rare Gibson Vegas model better.

Indeed' date=' there's a Vegas High Roller in my favorite music store here. It's a truly sublime guitar. Luvvit. [biggrin

783-vegas_highroller.jpg

I'm sure there are are some, (They're made in Memphis for cryin' out loud!) but I have never seen a Vegas in the U.S. I've seen a few on eBay that were in Europe, and I see them advertised in a British magazine I pick up every month. Never over here... [biggrin]

I'll offer an "olde pharte" reaction to the pic' date=' Stig. In the 1960s, that body with the diamond F holes and the six-on-a-side tuners was the Gibson "Trini Lopez" model. I don't know much about Mr. Grohl, but I guess he had a Trini at one point, or liked the design, in any case!

Based on the pic of the recent reissue by Gibson (here), it appears the '60s Trini had a trapeze tailpiece rather than the stop tailpiece on the model your post shows.

Old Ampeg Guy

Yup. I'm an old fart, too. The Trini was full-depth with pointy cutouts, was it not?

I'm just surprised that Epi hasn't done one of these.

. . . The Trini was full-depth with pointy cutouts' date=' was it not?

I'm just surprised that Epi hasn't done one of these.[/quote']

Looks like you're right about the full-depth body, Stig, at least on the deluxe model. I base that on the text below the reissue shown on the page I linked, above. The reissue itself is based on the later version, and is a thinline semi-hollow body (that's the one with which I'm familiar). It comes with either the trapeze or a stop tailpiece (to correct my comment above).

I agree--I'd really like to see Epi branch out and do something like this.

It's good to know there are a bunch of us older folks on the forum!

Old Ampeg Guy

Archived