Gibson Brands Forums

VHT Special amps? 6V6 6watt handwired head 100pounds?

Sounds a bit constipated to me, though I'm not a gigantic fan of 6v6 output, regardless. $150 seems entirely reasonable to me. It's interesting how many of these mass market small amps there are now, compared to when the Vjr first entered the scene.

You reakon by looking at it its a good modding platform?

Just wondered really. I havent even hadf time to listen to the clips just impressed at £100 for a 6v6 6watt head with half power, standby, foot switchable boost so looks pretty good and being hand wired even tho not fully handwired i think or not in the true sence. looking at the pics, looks good and easy to swap bits and peaces to try things out.

I can imagine the parts are low end and can be swapped for better and so on.

It's important to note the current VHT has nothing to do with classic VHT ampdesigncompany of 20 years.

Since 2009, VHT is an Asian investor aquired name alltho the amps themselves are still partly produced in the US, I believe. The old VHT Amplification has changed its name to Steven Fryette Design Inc.

I take this is better for modding than the VJ due to circuit board design.

Just wondered why people doing a VJ conversion to 6v6 dont start on one of these and mod to suit as i guess they'll be a lot less of the larger work to do.?

I listened to the sample and think it sounds ok but lacking in body maybe lower mids to my ears, prob good with my parametric eq pedal.

Thinking maybe save up??

Well im getting my Vox AC4tv in about 2 hours [blush] so that takes centre stage first

It looks to be pretty well finished, in terms of the tolex covering etc. But it didn't really produce any kind of memorable tones in that video. And the sound wasn't really defined or articulate, it was kind of just noise.

And it seems to have three features which all do much the same thing. A Hi and Lo switch, which essentially allows you to switch between high and low gain. Hi and Lo inputs, allowing you to choose between high and low gain. And the footswitch thing, again allowing you to switch between high and low gain. Why do you need three different ways to do the same thing?

For a little more coin, you can get the Laney Cub10, which is a proper Push/Pull tube amp (nothing against single ended amps, I just find them a bit lacking) It has a gain knob, which is much more useful if you ask me, and it sounds fantastic, a lot like a little Fender Tweed amp. Downside to the Laney is that it's not available as a head, but it weighs the same as that VHT head, so it's no less portable. It's also not as easy to modify as the VHT, but modding amps doesn't interest me personally, and there's no need to modify the Laney. Maybe a speaker change, but the stock one is quite good once it's broken in, and it's a matter of preference anyway.

Of course I'm partial to the Laney myself, but with good reason, it's a very cool little amp! Couple it with an extension cabinet and it's even more awesome! I think it's fair to compare the two as well, since they're both 6V6 powered.

Why do you need three different ways to do the same thing?

They don't do the same thing.

A Hi and Lo switch, which essentially allows you to switch between high and low gain.

That's not what that switch does.

"To further expand its range of tones, the Special 6 also features a High/Low power switch that enhances low-volume tones with extra-smooth richness (when in half-power mode)."

And the footswitch thing, again allowing you to switch between high and low gain.

With the Gain Boost, players can instantly toggle between clean rhythm tones and overdriven leads, essentially duplicating the footswitchable functions of a 2-channel amp in an all-tube, handwired, simple, 2-knob package.

The high/low inputs essentially allow a player to choose between mellower and more punchy attack.

I think it's fair to compare the two as well, since they're both 6V6 powered.

They're really not comparable amps at all. The Laney seems to be a cool amp, but it's completely different than the VHT. A better comparison would be the single ended Cub 8, which utilizes the same tube compliment.

Archived