Gibson Brands Forums

Prophecy GX/Dirty Fingers owners

Sjael

Here's the skinny: I was after something a bit more powerful to drop in my explorer, and stopping just short of ripping the EMGs out of my LP and throwing them in, I bit the bullet and ordered a Dirty Fingers to chuck in the bridge hole for some extreme output with more versatility (the Explorer is my all-purpose guitar, after all.)

Now, that's all well and good, but I'm looking at getting another to place neck-wise (I love matching pickups,) the problem being I've never played a guitar with a Dirty Fingers in the neck (back when I played with the LP GX I was only interested in the bridge rhythm tone [angry]) Now the thing here is I've never experienced anything good neck-wise with passive pickups; every neck-humbucker I've played with has just been (to my taste) muddy and useless, and the Dirty Fingers is of much higher output than any of them.

TL;DR: So really, I'm looking for opinions on the clarity and articulation of the Dirty Fingers in the neck position.:-k

Help a guy out? Thanks in advance! [biggrin]

Do it without reservation, Sjael! The Dirty Finger is an amazing neck pickup. I play 99% of the time in either the neck position or with both pups on ... never spend much time in the bridge position.

DF's are just great. Even owning a Gibson now, the LP and SG Prophecy GX's continue to blow me away. I don't care how much OD or distortion you pile on, these pups simply do not muddy up. Every note in a chord rings out and you can play a lead against a ringing bass note and it'll cut right through without killing the bass.

For a sound sample, click on my MySpace link at the bottom of my signature and listen to "Walk With Long Stride". That was done with the Les Paul Prophecy in the neck position and a Strat (you'll be able to tell which is which, trust me).

Jim

Thanks Jim, you're a truly reliable guy for anything on the Prophecy series! [confused]

I checked out Walk With Long Stride, and there is some seriously cool tone going on there (not to mention skill.) You've made up my mind, sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for. [biggrin] I'm going for a barely-breaking-up clean tone, something akin to the main guitar in the first half of this. My EMGs push hard enough to break up my Marshall's clean channel, but I'm after something a bit more organic feeling, the EMGs feel almost like you just turned the volume up, rather than the dirty, hot feel you get from hardcore passives. [biggrin]

On a side note; Sultans Of Swing. Boy does that bring back some childhood memories. [crying] Dire Straits wrote a significant portion of the soundtrack to my early 90s. [biggrin]

Wow ,,Dirty Fingers in an Explorer,,,what a great idea,,i would go for the pair,,i think the results will be quite amazing. The one thing these pick ups are not is muddy,,dont think you could get mud out of em if you tried.The one they are though is BALLSY!!but its clean,,powerfull balls. let me know how it works out if you do it ,,cuz maybe I'll do it to mine to ,,although believe it or not ,,,the stock pups in my Explorer are pretty hot themselves.If you want you can check out my GX and my stock Explorer on my Youtube channel

Maniaks youtube page

Keep us posted on what you decide and how it works out...Maniak

MY Noisemakers:

Epiphone 2008 Sg Custom Prophecy GX

Epiphone 2003 Korina G-400 Sg

Epiphone 1998 Korina Explorer

Epiphone 1998 Korina Flying V

BC Rich 1981 Maple Mockingbird Handmade

Ibanez 1977 Les Paul

Ibanez 1976 Stratocaster

Gibson 1968 Les Paul Custom

Charvel Fretless Bass

Washburn Lyon P bass

Guild Madiera P-600 Jumbo Acoustic

Applause A-25 Acoustic

Chuan Yin Marina Mark 20SS classical

Carlo Robelli 5 string Banjo

Carlo Robelli Electric Violin

Kay Electric Mandolin

Lignatone Mandolin

Midiman Radium Keyboard

2 Marshall JTM-612 60 watt 1 12 Combos

Don't get me wrong, I do love the stockers in my Explorer now, but I just need more power for my playing style. I'll definitely be doing a full review after I get them, seeing as I've also added a Bigsby and Resomax bridge just yesterday. [biggrin]

I think the Explorer 2 came stock with Dirty Fingers in both slots. The crappy vintage ones. [biggrin]

Listening to Jim's and Maniak's playing blows me away everytime.

And Sjael, thanks for the Neverender clip.

I didn't know these guys but they sound really good.

Cheers

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE. You gonna go for the door knocker too?

I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN. I have actually been planning to add a bigsby since I got the guitar nigh a year ago' date=' only I lost my job and couldn't afford it until just recently. In fact, I ordered it in, and about 2 hours later the first videos popped on Youtube of him with one. It's not too convincing an argument, but I honestly didn't steal the idea off him. [angry

And no, the door knocker is retarded. :-

And I'm keeping my black pickguard.

Also: SHADOWBOOTS LOL [angry]

I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN. I have actually been planning to add a bigsby since I got the guitar nigh a year ago' date=' only I lost my job and couldn't afford it until just recently. In fact, I ordered it in, and about 2 hours later the first videos popped on Youtube of him with one. It's not too convincing an argument, but I honestly didn't steal the idea off him. [angry']

And no, the door knocker is retarded. [biggrin]

And I'm keeping my black pickguard.

Also: SHADOWBOOTS LOL [biggrin]

It's OK[biggrin]

I only noticed he added the Bigsby for the 'Here We Are, Juggernaut' video.

The door knocker does have a purpose though. I'm assuming it's for balance and I've seen him use it to aid in bending the neck.

I have considered that he may use it in Ten Speed during the "nobody knows but you" section, but then he didn't have it back then. Personally, I'd glue the damn thing down rather than tie it like he appears to. [biggrin]

I have been looking for something a little more elegant to put in that space on mine, some polished, laser-cut aluminium design would go peachy with all the chrome parts I'm adding.

Archived