Gibson Brands Forums

EVJ problem

My VJ has been dead for about 8 months now and ive finally got some time to fix it. Now the problem is that I have no clue what is wrong with it. When it first started messing up I thought it was just a faulty cable because it would just crackle occasionally. It gradually became worse, to the point it the sound would just cut out completely for a second or two, so I bought a new cable. Didnt help. Then one day I turn it on and about 20 minutes of playing it just starts to fade out and doesnt come back, flipped the switch of and waited a few minutes and tried again and still no sound.

Ive opened it up to check the tubes, and the still light up fine. I checked the orange fuse and scraped it and whatnot to help the connection, but I still havent managed to get it to make a noise.

Any clues as to what the problem is?

You'd have to open it up.

remove tubes and take the chassis out of the cabinet to look.

I guess I'd check the input jack connection, the input jack itself has been known to fail..

and the volume pot connection..

the more likely of those three is the input jack itself.

I'd check the wires that are clipped to the board.. they have rubber ends on them.

I'd check the fuse in the power cord input jack? is that where it is, anyone? I've never even looked at that myself, but I recall people having the blow.

It's not likely as it wouldn't crackle and start/stop, it would just blow.

I'd look at the output jacks connections.

And remember there are high voltages in there, so you can die messing around, in which case this is all BAD advice.

I would guess that some solder connection, on or off the board, has broken free, was weak to start with, and now you got nothin.

he said

I checked the orange fuse and scraped it and whatnot to help the connection, but I still havent managed to get it to make a noise.

so between that and the way it's acting.. it really sounds like a solder joint to me.

could be bad component.. could even be a tube you have to swap them to be sure.

But given all the vjs I've been into stock.. I think solder joint, loose wire.. probably exacerbated by how long it was acting up, something else might have gone wrong.

I havent tried replacing the tubes, I have assumed that theyre fine since both light up still. Im thinking I might just have to wait until I have some cash to spare to go have it looked at and fixed though, cause I dont trust myself enough to go poking around in it more than I already have and risk getting shocked.

I havent tried replacing the tubes

Ok, so there's where you start then. Obviously, if your power light is on, it can't be the main fuse. If the tubes light up, it's not the heater fuse. The most common parts to fail in a tube amp are, in fact the tubes.

Archived