Gibson Brands Forums

dot deluxe or sheri?

I owned a Dot Deluxe and it was a lot of guitar for the money. I decided a semi-hollow wan't for me and traded it in at Guitar Center for a 15% off deal and bought a Gibson Std. Trad Plus Ice Tea with real 57's. There is a difference. Maybe because it's a solid body too. These pups can go from warm and clean to growling just by changing how you pick and strum. Very responsive.

The Dot has a thicker neck compared to a Sherri. It's almost as thick a the 50's neck on my Gibson. The Dot also doesn't have as much bling as the Sherri.

My suggestion is to play both and see which one fells better.

There is a difference. Maybe because it's a solid body too.

Yep' date=' that makes a big difference. I have an Elite ES-335 and an Elite Les Paul Standard Plus here. Both feature the same pickup type (seem to be a kind of special designed hot 57s), but they sound different like day and night. The ES-335 is versatile, can play anything from jazz to crunch rock sounds. The Les Paul is a plain rock guitar, the harder you play it the more fun it has :-)

These pups can go from warm and clean to growling just by changing how you pick and strum. Very responsive.

Same here with the Les Paul. I wouldn't call the clean tone warm though, at least compared to the ES-335. It's more expressive, and you always hear the sleeping beast. It always waits for you to turn up the gain on the amp.

Thanks to Jeff for giving me the heads-up on this thread ... I must have missed it some how.

I have no idea why that Guitar Center tag states that the Dot Deluxe come equipped with Gibson pickups. If you look at the specs on the GC site, it correctly lists the pups as being "2 '57 Classic Alnico humbuckers". In other words, Epiphone Chinese-made units.

About the only thing I will say, is that the tag pictured is a "Manager's Special" and not the regular "GLP" (garanteed lowest price" tag that is transmitted by corporate. It's highly likely that that particular tag was created in the store by a staff member and the mistake was limited to that particular instrument. The tags on the two Dot Deluxe guitars in my store do not claim anything about Gibson pickups being in that model.

Of course, those of you that feel Guitar Center is the "evil empire" of music retailers may care to believe otherwise. To me, however, making a false statement about a low-priced guitar that has already got $20 knocked of it seems a bit silly, doesn't it?

Jim

Archived