Gibson Brands Forums

Replace pickups on Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro?

Lencias

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase an Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro, attracted to it by the coilsplit/tapped (whichever one you prefer to call it) pickups. My question is, will I be able to replace the stock pickups with other pickups (say... the GFS Vintage 59) and still retain the coil-tapping functionality? Or am I stuck with stock pickups for life?

Thanks!

Well try the stock ones first. If they are not to your liking, you need to purchase 4 conductor pickups (usually pickups have 2 wires but 4 wire models are available on some models). Coil tapping is a cool feature to have.

It's just a normal Les Paul with push/pull pots to split the pickups. If that's the only thing that you really like about it, and are going to change the pickups anyway, you may as well get a Standard with a cooler finish and coil split that :-

And yeah, just about all GFS Humbuckers are splittable.

The Chemurgy (kem'urje): Chemistry that creates industrial products from raw organic matter.

Off topic but... do you eat vegetables and "produce" steel girders from the other end? If so, I think we've solved the mystery of how they make Irn Bru

Anyone have any suggestions for pickups? Looking to go Coldplay/Killers/Muse/Secondhand Serenade/John Mayer/Queen/Beatles (No' date=' I'm not gonna go Fender, pretty much set on this.) [/quote']

Have you considered humbucker-sized P-90s? 'Cause 3/4 of the artists you named use(d) Fenders and other single coil equipped guitars.

For those sounds your best bet is a Tele.

Although you can split the coils on a humbucker, in my experience they never sound quite as good as a single coil pickup that was designed to be single coil. I've used split Duncans and Gibsons and they don't sound as good as my stock Mexican Tele pups.

It's pretty silly to think about changing pickups in a guitar you don't yet own.

Maybe you should try them out first?

I love them and think they're Hot!

Even the man who sets my guitars up said "these aren't just ordinary pickups"!

Definitely not a bad set.

Oh and yes, as long as you get 4 conductor wire pickups you can use them. It has Alpha pots with the little tower on the back so it would be an easy switch

Archived