Gibson Brands Forums

A broken off Tip(hot output)

RickK.

as you can see at my post count I'm new to this forum, so hello every1!

Since January I have an Epiphone Worn '66 Wilshire, and I'm so far very happy with it. But since a few days it's failing sometimes.. it produces a crackling sound then in my amp. And all the notes I produce don't change the sound, not in volume but also not in frequency.

So I opened it a bit up and noticed that 1 wire was not touching the place it should be soldered to. The odd thing is though, that now that I had opened it up it wasn't having any problems, no crackling etc. not when the wire was not touching his 'plate' but also not when it did touched its 'plate'. :-({|=

So right now I'm very confused, I think this wire wasn't the cause of the crackling. But even so, will it ever make trouble? How can I solder it back on? Or should I just send it back to the store because I still have warranty on it?

Here's the scheme of my electronics, as the title of this post already said, it's the Tip(hot output) that is broken off at the output jack

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=postmessage&f=6

Thanks already for helping me!

The weirdness of it working after you've opened it up and seen that a wire is disconnected, then the wire might be falling back into place and barely making contact with the right connection. If it's under warranty get it fixed for free. But after it's off of warranty and a pot/switch goes bad, buy a soldering iron and do it yourself. Replacing one pot at my local shop costs $30 while a soldering iron cost me about $15 and an afternoon of teaching myself how to use it. Now I do all my own electronics repairs for the cost of the parts on my own.

I'd have to agree with mbrooks. Resoldering a wire to the

output jack is quite easy, but would void your warranty as you

"laid hands" on the electronics. If you ARE able to have it

repaired for free, do so.

For the wire to be disconnected at the jack sounds like either

a cold solder joint, or the jack was loose and spun around over

time, twisting the wire back and forth and breaking it off.

Learning how to do your own soldering is a valuable skill, is

easier than you think, but requires a bit of practice to learn

how to do it without "cooking" your parts/wires from too much

heat for too long. Definitely worth investigating/researching -

lots of vids on Youtube, lots of websites that explain how...

i agree with other folks on this one. while under warranty, it is always best to use the warranty.

solding is very easy to master when your warranty is expired. soon you will be like the most of us who do not just repairs but complete electrical mods[cool]

Although it's given me no problems so far, the soldered connections on my Wilshire are some of the worst I've ever seen. Considering the very reasonable quality/price ratio of the rest of the guitar it's obviously something the Indonesian factory is going to have to improve on.

Archived