Gibson Brands Forums

Any information on the 1966 Wilshire that is now available

JRS11

I did an appraisal when I got mine last year and you can find that here if you do a search for Wilshire. Other guys have posted about their Wilshire's as well and it's generally pretty positive. Up to now I can say it's a good guitar for the money and has basically needed only a few minor adjustments. Sound is subjective, I like the sound but you may not, so the best advice I can offer is try before you buy if you can.

jg

From what I read the sound is not quite like an older epi so the pickups, like in most re-issues from Indonesia are probably good for looks but different electronically. For the price if I want to get another electric this one seems to be perfect in many ways, has a nice wider neck profile and the wonderful short Gibson scale.

Could be. But be careful, changing pickups would probably enhance your sound but if the guitar itself is already somewhat 'limited', you won't hear that much a difference. I personally think the guitar is so inexpensive that it's worth trying though.

I know it would be barely possible but if you can find a genuine 60's Wilshire and play it you could at least have a reference.

I could also provide you samples of mine but it won't be really relevant as I don't own a '66 Wilshire reissue myself...

So I'm suggesting you to drop Rathole a line. [crying]

Thanks again cosmitron. I still kick myself for selling my original and near mint 1960 ES330 but what is done is done. I don't think I would bother to change pickups, you buy it as it is and enjoy it as it is. I may see if my guitar center has any for me to look at, that may be the easiest way, but I am not sure they do.

JRS

Here's the link to my post from last year.

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=141351

Like I said earlier, sound is subjective. It's probably a bit much to expect a guitar as cheap as the Wilshire re-issue to sound like a 60's model plus the fact that we don't know what the 60's model sounded like in the 60's. I don't remember it being a particularly popular or sought after guitar back then so perhaps they've improved with age. Maybe in 50 years time everyone will be raving about the sound of the 09 Indonesian Wilshire's and how the new [insert your third world country of choice] made ones just don't match up. The woodwork construction on mine is as good as the best I've seen in its price range and far better than many. Pickups, wiring and pots are relatively cheap and easy to replace, especially as it's all on the scratchplate.

jg

Archived