Gibson Brands Forums

My bridge BB Pro has suddenly gone massively microphonic

wiggy

Looking for suggestions as to what might have caused this to happen.

I was playing through the following chain:

LP - MTO-4 Tube Driver - EH Screaming Bird - BC30 - Mini Mass - headphones.

Everything was fine and then I decided to max the boost on the SB. Pretty much as soon as I did this I noticed that I could hear every bit of contact with the body of the guitar. Exploring further I discovered that with the bridge BB Pro engaged you could hear every tap and knock all over the guitar (you can even hear the pots being turned it's that pronounced) but with it switched off all was quiet. Turning off the SB reduced the effect but it is still very noticeable.

Now there's no way I can see how something up the chain from the guitar could damage the pickup but I could be wrong.

Got me stumped

When I can hear the strings vibrating against the fingerboard and the wood creaking and resonating, I know I'm in the sweet spot. If my volume and treble control can be heard when I rotate them between songs, I know my gain is too high. Crank it back down, Wiggy!

Sometimes we get sensitive when something happens and then we notice every little thing. I don't think the SB killed the wire in your pickups or the magnets and steel cores. That's about all there is there to kill.

BB 3 is unpotted (I do believe) to replicate the true PAF.

When at high gain and you turn sideways at the amp 'Squeeeeall!!!'

is what happens?

Then that's just the reality of the old unpotted PAF pickup.

Still considered a 'Humbucker' by name but buck-hum it doesn't.

See if you can talk into it. If you can' date=' send it to me. I've been wanting a microphonic pup for a ...project... BWAHAHAHAHA...erm...[/quote']

Try cranking the gain and scream into them. Works fine for me. Just do it at gig volume or you'll sound like an idiot. [thumbup]

S'how Claudio does it, and he uses the stock Explorer pickups (496r/500t afaik.)

Try cranking the gain and scream into them. Works fine for me. Just do it at gig volume or you'll sound like an idiot. [thumbup]

S'how Claudio does it' date=' and he uses the stock Explorer pickups (496r/500t afaik.) [/quote']

I've tried it. Didn't work for me. Apparently I'm 'special' (HERP DERP :-k ) and need some help (ie a microphonic pup)

BB 3 is unpotted (I do believe) to replicate the true PAF.

When at high gain and you turn sideways at the amp 'Squeeeeall!!!'

is what happens?

Then that's just the reality of the old unpotted PAF pickup.

Still considered a 'Humbucker' by name but buck-hum it doesn't.

It's a BB Pro (not a BB3) which is potted. There was no feedback though the amp as I was running with the attenuator maxed out (i.e speaker silent) and monitoring using the headphone tap on the Mini Mass.

The reason for my query was that it's the first time this has happened. Previous times , when gain maxed on the treble boost, there was no microphonics and even at first this time. It was only after playing for a bit that it occured and on the bridge only.

That's why I was wondering if something has busted.

Archived