Gibson Brands Forums

Feedback on Les Paul Ultra

fierce1289

My Epiphone Les Paul Ultra gets feedback when I play with my amp (Spyder Line III Half Stack). It gets feedback troubles on the treble setting so much its unplayable almost and the rhythm setting gets it a little bit. It always happens when no strings are being played.

Any help on how to fix this?

Welcome to the forum, Fierce ... sorry to hear that you're having some problems with your Ultra.

I've never experienced this myself. My Ultra is just over two years old now and I play it extensively at high volume. Like I say, it's never fed back ... unless I've wanted it to! As you know, the Ultra is chambered and as such, should be slightly more prone to feedback than its solidbody counterparts ...

Some questions:

- How close are you sitting to your amp?

- Are the pickups the originals?

- When you say it happens when the strings are unplayed, do you mean the guitar is leaning against the stack, or as soon as you stop playing? Are your muting the strings with your hand or are they just vibrating freely?

- Finally, how loud is your amp cranked?

Let's see if we can't help you cut back on the howling. Let us know what your tuypical set-up is like when you are playing ... it might be something as simple as changing you position when you play!

Jim

Thank you for the reply!

I'm standing somewhere around 4 feet away from the amp when I practice with my band.

The pick ups are original!

It happens as soon as I stop playing! =[ and when I just mute the strings also

Amp is about 40% of full volume I'm guessing (its not at home with me)

Some feeedback is normal... Depends on a lot of things.

Thank you for the reply!

I'm standing somewhere around 4 feet away from the amp when I practice with my band.

The pick ups are original!

It happens as soon as I stop playing! =[ and when I just mute the strings also

Amp is about 40% of full volume I'm guessing (its not at home with me)

What you may want to do, is purchase either a Boss ME-50, or a Jim Dunlop volume pedal. I use the volume in my Boss ME-50, works great. But if the noise comes THROUGH that, when the volume is all the way off, and there are situations where that can happen... Then you gotta problem

The first thing ya gotta find out, is, does the squealing STOP when ya roll the volume pot all the way out? Cos if it keeps making noise even then, THEN ya have the problem I had.

I use to have a Lab Series L-11 and later an L-5, first amp I ever had where I had absolutely NO need for any stomp boxes of any kind. I could roil back the volume, and get clean sharp tone, or flip over to the neck PU and get fat rhythm - But at Balls Out, it screamed and screeched. But holding my hand over the PUs did not stop feedback, cos playing at a loud volume through a 200 watt head, unless yer far away from it, and in a good room, its gonna squeal like a dunghill rat!

Later I had an Original, Prototype Peavey Renown (160 watt version w/Scorpions) - Now THAT, was RMS and even louder then the Lab series... And it DIDN'T feed back with any of my guitars... I had a Gibson RD77 Artist as well as my '76 Les Paul Custom and my 1982 G and L F100. NONE of those axes fed back through that amp, even in LEAD mode with FULL saturation. But, I Had the 3-button Automixer/Combiner and I could easily switch from lead to crunch. But I never had any trouble with that.

My Kramer, Hamer both had humbuckers, never squawked. But my 2001 Les Paul Jr, had a single coil PAF - And it made SO much noise it was unplayable- And I require a guitar where I can control the NOISE. I traded that for my Flying V.

Now, if you have ANY kind of Les Paul, copy or no, Original or Epi, or even Samick or Elektra, you SHOULD NOT be getting any kind of HIGH PITCHED, uncontrollable squealing, that does not stop when you put your hand over the pickups. From 5 to 10 feet away, you ought to be able to play out of a JCM 800 with a ProCo RAT with the Distortion On, and you should be able to control the feedback by changing your stance, or moving your hand. But it should STOP by flipping the switch to a PU with the volume down.

So, none of my guitars got any feedback I didn't want, but for one guitar, my 1986-9 Korean Samick SG G-400. I first played that guitar n 1995, used it through 96. It was GIVEN to me in 98. It NEVER fed back, but when I got it, it DID.

The guy who gave it to me, took OUT the original pickups, replaced em with HOTROD pickups. Fortunately, he left the original pickups in there. So, the first time I tried to play this guitar live, it SKWANKED and SQUIBBLED and HONKED and HOOTED, and it made SO much noise I hadda UNJACK it.

I never used it for live after that, but when I played though my Line 6, for recording sessions, it sounded OK. But what I noticed, was, EVEN with the VOLUMES ALL THE WAY DOWN, this thing STILL squealed like a dripping wet oiled PIG.

Totally uncontrollable feedback.

I can assure you, if you have SWAPPED OUT your original Epi pickups without really researching the replacement - You were probably getting a HIGH PITCHED SQUEAL.

I finally STUCK THE ORIGINALS back IN about 9 months ago - I played my FIRST show with it, in December 2009 - I played 4 songs, not a shred of squealage! It sounded like a regular Epi SG G-400 sposed to sound.

So, check out that link if there is a fix they posted, I don't know it this was an electrical problem, bad pots, a bad Jack, or maybe even a cold solder joint - A Cold Solder Joint will Also, cause all kinds of piggy grunts and other unpleasant noises!

PS and ad I just noticed ya say ya got original PUs, then you dont have the overbloated Duncans I had in mine... So check all of your solder joints in there, does that have any active electronics in it?

Thank you for such a detailed response! I don't think it does but I'm not sure because I'm not that knowledgeable in the area but my Epiphone Les Paul Ultra is ALL original.

I just tried messing with it on my VOX 15 watt practice amp I use in my apartment, got it up to a respectable volume level and not a single ounce of feedback on either pick up. Sounded awesome!

I just don't know what it is about that Spyder Amp and using my treble pick up on that amp. I just can't figure it out!

Archived