Gibson Brands Forums

how much should I pay for an

invasion

as titile how much should I pay for a epiphone Les Paul custom in top condition I have been offered one but really dont know about price ?

I also notice it was made in 2004 in the unsung plant in Koera production number 371..is that a good batch or factory??

Thanks

as titile how much should I pay for a epiphone Les Paul custom in top condition I have been offered one but really dont know about price ?

I also notice it was made in 2004 in the unsung plant in Koera production number 371..is that a good batch or factory??

Thanks

Hi Again, Invasion.

You get get a new one from Thomann for £402. If you compare guitars to cars, Epis are like Fords and Gibsons are like BMWs. New epis don't hold their price when you drive them off away from the dealer like a Gibby would. I would pay not more than £260, personally. NB. The new customs are apparently made in Indonesia rather than China which some people say are lower quality.

BTW, for £240 you can get a brand new Chinese made black standard and the only differences between that and the custom are cosmetic (more perloid plus gold hardware on the custom - otherwise identical.)

What's your budget and why do you specifically want a LP? What music do you play?

Alan

Hi Again' date=' Invasion.

You get get a new one from Thomann for £402. If you compare guitars to cars, Epis are like Fords and Gibsons are like BMWs. New epis don't hold their price when you drive them off away from the dealer like a Gibby would. I would pay not more than £260, personally. NB. The new customs are apparently made in Indonesia rather than China which some people say are lower quality.

BTW, for £240 you can get a brand new Chinese made black standard and the only differences between that and the custom are cosmetic (more perloid plus gold hardware on the custom - otherwise identical.)

What's your budget and why do you specifically want a LP? What music do you play?

Alan[/quote']

Hi Alan [biggrin]

Well I have £500 max to spend but the less the better. Main concern is playability of the guitar.

I like to play rock/ blues and will be playing Randy rhoads sort of thing and zack wylde at times. The black standard sounds a good purchase.

Always liked the Lespaul sounds and the style of the guitar..when I was younger (14) it had to be Ibanez as I thought I was going to be the next Steve Vai I am now 37 [biggrin]

If you compare guitars to cars' date=' Epis are like Fords and Gibsons are like BMWs. New epis don't hold their price when you drive them off away from the dealer like a Gibby would. [/quote']

Great point, but a better comparison might be to keep it in the same company..... Epi=Toyota, Gibson=Lexus ...... or, Epi=Chevy, Gibson = Cadillac....etc, etc...[biggrin]

Have you factored in an amp in to your budget? A good valve amp will be well worth it.

If you can stretch to a blackstar HT-5 or a marshall class 5 (around £300 each) you could buy the black LP standard and be just slightly over budget. If you want to put money in to the guitar for now, how about a new Gibson SG faded like mine. It's a stripped down guitar but is very high quality with great woods, pickups and hardware; and excellent playability. They're currently £467 from Thomann. You wouldn't lose much if you sold it at a later date - a used one wouldn't cost much less. People also like the Epi LP and SG prophecy range which have good pickups and excellent necks. You can have one with EMG pickups if you want to be Zakk Wilde or Gibson Dirty Fingers for more of a Randy Rhoads tone.

Hi Alan :)

Well I have £500 max to spend but the less the better. Main concern is playability of the guitar.

I like to play rock/ blues and will be playing Randy rhoads sort of thing and zack wylde at times. The black standard sounds a good purchase.

Always liked the Lespaul sounds and the style of the guitar..when I was younger (14) it had to be Ibanez as I thought I was going to be the next Steve Vai I am now 37 [biggrin]

One word.... Orville.

http://musical-instruments.shop.ebay.co.uk/Guitars-/3858/i.html?_nkw=orville&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

There are only two Les Pauls listed right now for less than £500. One is a very world Les Paul Standard, the other is in much better condition but has 13 bids, two days, and a £100 shipping charge.

On a budget that limited, I don't think it's an option, especially since most are being shipped from Japan, which isn't exactly cheap.

Archived