Gibson Brands Forums

What ever happened to the Dethklok Explorer?

truetone6

It's weird.This is from a 2007 interview with Brendon Small:

" Is it true that there is a custom Dethklok guitar currently in the works?

We’re working on an Epiphone. It’s going to be for public purchase. We’re still working on some legal contract stuff, but we have a guitar design that’s pretty ****ing awesome actually. I won’t say too much about it, but it’s really cool. It’s the kind of thing that sometimes movies or TV shows do, a custom guitar. It’s like, “Oh, that’s of a cool collector’s item.” But this is a guitar we want you to be able to play and be able to be affordable and be able to look really cool, not look too ostentatious or flamboyant. So we’ll work on that and hopefully we’ll have some news about that.

Is it possible that the guitar will be announced at the next NAMM convention?

I don’t know. I would like to! We’ve got to start really getting that contract in place. Hopefully it will all happen after that. I think it’s a really cool opportunity. My first guitar was an Epiphone, and then I was hooked on Gibsons. I played all kinds of guitars in between then, but I kept coming back to Gibson stuff. I just naturally really like the guitars as well, their whole product line. I think it’s cool for kids to get a guitar that works that isn’t cheaply made and that is affordable.

I’m sure there are quite a few fans of Metalocalypse who are just learning to play guitar, so an affordable Epiphone is perfect.

When I say that I think about myself when I was 14 or 15, I do that very often because that kid is very much alive inside of me. This show is for guitar geeks. It really is. A lot of kids play guitar out there, and I think they need their own show. So I think this is me trying to put that out there. "

N_NAMM208r.jpg

And then this photo was taken at NAMM 2008

It's supposedly still being worked on.

Last year when Zak Wylde's custom was released, in the press release Gibson/Epiphone talked about the people they were working with for future guitars and Dethklok was among them.

So it's still in process. Between the legal issues and Brendon Small being so busy, I'm not surprised it's taking forever.

• 6 months later...

It's supposedly still being worked on.

Last year when Zak Wylde's custom was released, in the press release Gibson/Epiphone talked about the people they were working with for future guitars and Dethklok was among them.

So it's still in process. Between the legal issues and Brendon Small being so busy, I'm not surprised it's taking forever.

No Epiphone version just a Gibson

DSDKSBCH1_-thumb-640x341.jpg

Archived