Gibson Brands Forums

Any experience w/ Asymetrical neck on Les Paul Tribute model?

caustic69

Hi guys,

I'm totally new here.

For some background :

I like LPs and can't afford a real Gibson Standard and have also come across some really nice copies for so much less.

I don't currently own any Epi's but used to have a Black Standard Epi LP w/ Duncan (custom5 & 59') pups which I liked. My first LP type guitar.

Then I owned a 2004 Tradition S2000(see avatar) w/ Duncan pups and awesome flamed CSB finish, solid mahogany body, flamed maple cap. These are really nice guitars. They have gone up in price recently which I question but the S2000 was top o' the line. Actually liked more than any of my other LPs past or present and probably would have kept forever, never needing another LP but the neck was a little too narrow from side to side.

Then I traded for 2002 Gibson Ebony LP Studio w/ stock pups. Really liked this, it was a little dinged but had that traditional LP feel and sound. The stock pups were okay but liked the Duncans better.

then I traded this for an ESP/LTD EC-1000 in see-thru Black Cherry w/ EMGs. Beautiful guitar, great pup's but not what I'm looking for in an LP. Great neck, love it. But no maple cap, just mahogany body.

So now I see this Epi Tribute LP and it sounds like just what I want, a more traditional LP shape, traditional construction, non-chambered body (as it should be), Love the trans black finish, pups sound like they should be keepers and I dig the coil tapping, so at long last my question is about the neck profiles.

Does anyone have experience with the asymetrical neck? I'm concerned the 60's slim taper might end up being to narrow/small like my Tradition was. Is the asymetrical similar to a compound radius on shredder strat like a Jackson?

I know the obvious end-all to this is to play one but I have not come across one. I guess I could go play a real Gibson LP with a 60's slim for reference but I really want some input on the asymetrical. Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.

chuck

You can never have too much gear.

Guitars:

1979 Fender Hardtail Strat

1988 Fender HM Strat

1989 Hamer Chapparral

2006 ESP LTD EC-1000

OLP Petrucci signature model

Carvin Bolt kit

Amps:

ENGL Thunder 50H

Marshall AVT50H

Bugera 333XL

ADA MP 2 / Mosvalve poweramp

Peavey Mace head

I ALMOST went for the asymmetrical neck when I ordered my Epi 1960 Tribute a couple months ago. I thought about it, but then got gunshy not having ever played one. I know I could have exchanged it, but didn't want the hassle.

I CAN say that the 60's profile neck is the most comfortable for me of any of my four guitars...and that includes the Gibby SG Standard and the Agile AL3100. I could go blindfolded and pick out the Epi just by how the neck feels when I wrap my hand around it just picking it up off the stand.

I know this isn't helping you make a decision, but my attitude was "when in doubt, don't." I've been playing a long time, and it just concerned my that it would feel strange to me based on what I've been use to.

Having said that, I'd like to get to actually play the asymmetrical neck. It might really be excellent for all we know.

The slim taper neck varies about 1/10 of an inch between the 1st and 12th frets. I played a 1960s SG with that neck and to be honest did not even really notice the taper. I think it comes down to whether you prefer this neck to the 1950s roundback. I refer the roundback

Thanks for the feedback guys! I know 60's necks are more readily available so I will have to play one to see how it feels to me to see if it is too narrow and that will answer that question but like Tom, I really would like to play an asymetrical.

It's always someting with off the shelf guitars. I loved my Tradition S2000 for everything but the too skinny neck, I loved the Gibby LP Studio but for the plain look and average pups, I love my LTD EC-1000, especially the neck but it doesn't have the maple cap and I have other guitars with EMGs already.

AND one thing I don't like about any of them is, I really don't like finished necks.

For this reason, I thought about a BFG LP but that still is a little steep in price.

Like I said, it's always something.............[cool]

Hi,

I think you may have mixed up the neck with the fingerboard.

When people talk about a compound radius that refers to the fingerboard. On a shredder like a Jackson or a Charvel the radius typically changes from 12" at the first fret to 16" at the 22nd/24th. The flatter fingerboard in the higher registers makes string bending easier. This type of guitar usually has jumbo frets which also help with bending and ease of fretting.

The neck profile or shape refers to the back of the neck. What you like here is is a matter of personal preference and is often goverened by your hand size. The advantages of the different Gibby profiles are explained quite well if you look on their webiste at the different Gibsons on there.

Alan

Edit:

You say you liked the neck on your studio - these are '50s necks so you might like an Epiphone LP 1959 reissue instead of a tribute. Many say that regular Epi LPs have necks somewhere between '50s and '60s.

I went to the city to try both the Tribute and '59 Epis as I was really GASing for one. They have great hardware/electronics specs but I found the finish and fit to be no better than on a regular Epi Standard plus. In fact, I felt that the true maple cap (rather than veneer) together with all the poly on top makes them less attractive than a standard plus. My conclusion was that these new models are fine if you don't want to do the upgrades yourself and are certainly more cost effective when compared to swapping out everything you could on a standard plus. I know many people really like these models but, having played them myself, I now wouldn't get one. I actually prefer my cheap and cheerful Epi LP Studio Deluxe. The neck feels nice and fat to me and is as slick as hell. I do intend to put some PAF style pups in it at some point.

The 2010 Epiphone Catalog has an image of the 2 neck profiles:

LesPaulTributeNeckProfiles.jpg

I'm hoping to have to make this decision soon. I'm trying to convince my wife that, since I was born in August 1960, a 1960 Tribute Les Paul would be the perfect birthday present for me later this month. She's not convinced... but maybe she's bluffing.

AlanH,

Thanks for the feedback and yes I did mix up the fretboard with neck profile, thanks for the correction.

And I'm surprised with your reaction to the Tribute LP. Most if not all reviews I have seen have been positive to outright glowing. I have not had the chance to play any version of this model and hope to soon. Hopefully someone will have one in stock.

DChale,

Thanks for posting that diagram, that gives a real clear view of what we're talking about. I'm surprised Epiphone doesn't include this on the website. Or at least I didn't see it.

Can't wait to get myh hands on one.

Archived