Gibson Brands Forums

Difference in maple top thickness of various LP models?

boneyguy

Do all the LP models have a full 3/4" maple top or is there a difference between the maple cap on the LP Tribute and the Standard models?

My understanding is that the Tribute model has a full 3/4" maple cap but I'm not sure what the Standard models have.

Thanks.

I'll go back and listen to the Dr. Epiphone clip again but I'm quite certain he mentions the Tribute as having a full 3/4" maple cap. I'll report back.

As to the other models it seems like a maple cap is not a certainty. Some years might and some don't. Hmmmm.. I can guess at why the Epiphone site doesn't clearly give this info but it sure would be helpful if they did.

Hmmmm.. I can guess at why the Epiphone site doesn't clearly give this info but it sure would be helpful if they did.

I don't think the info is there, and so I don't think there is any way for them to provide it.

Let us know what you find out.

Yup. On the Dr. Epiphone clip at about the 56 second mark he mentions the maple cap.

And from the YouTube blurb under the clip it says....."Tribute LP's feature a solid Mahogany back with a solid, carved hard Maple cap to create the ultimate combination of warmth and bite."

I'm assuming this is accurate information but I have no way of knowing. Is 'Dr. Epiphone' a reliable source of information?

Yup. On the Dr. Epiphone clip at about the 56 second mark he mentions the maple cap.

And from the YouTube blurb under the clip it says....."Tribute LP's feature a solid Mahogany back with a solid' date=' carved hard Maple cap to create the ultimate combination of warmth and bite."[/i']

I'm assuming this is accurate information but I have no way of knowing. Is 'Dr. Epiphone' a reliable source of information?

I meant info on maple cap thickness on LP models over the years.

I don't think the info is there' date=' and so I don't think there is any way for them to provide it.

Let us know what you find out.[/quote']

I'm not sure what you mean. When you say it's not 'there' do you mean on the Epi website.

Somebody at Epiphone has to know!!! [confused]

I'll go back and listen to the Dr. Epiphone clip again but I'm quite certain he mentions the Tribute as having a full 3/4" maple cap. I'll report back.

As to the other models it seems like a maple cap is not a certainty. Some years might and some don't. Hmmmm.. I can guess at why the Epiphone site doesn't clearly give this info but it sure would be helpful if they did.

Here's the scoop, Epiphone has been in the Les Paul business since 1989. Originally they were made by Samick in Korea, and when Samick could no longer handle the demand, they contracted with other Korean manufactures like Unsung, Saien, Peerless... Then to several factories China & Indonesia. They built their own factory in China, but still use factories all over the world. Epiphone even had some guitars made in the Czech Republic!!! Add on top of this all the different variations of the Les Paul like Customs, Standard, Classics, Plus tops, Ultras, plain tops... I think at one point they even used Alder caps instead of maple. And then consider this, guitars made in the same factory weren't even always consistent with each other. I can tell the difference between a 1989 Samick made LP from a 1991 Samick LP at a glance.

So you got dozens of factories in different countries making millions of guitars over a 20+ year period, all with slight variations, different specs, and you want to know how thick the top is on a ???

Be suspicious of the word cap. That usually implies a thinner piece of maple than an actual top. That's why most Epiphones use short pots rather than the long shaft pots used on Gibson LPs. Short pots don't make it through the thick maple tops on the Gibbys. If it doesn't specifically say 3/4", assume it's a thin cap. And I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the standard issue Epi LPs do not have a a thick maple top. At best they have a thick maple veneer. Maybe the Slash models have a full top, or the '59 tributes, but if doesn't say 3/4" don't assume it.

My question is why does it matter??? Is an Epiphone with a maple top and some mystery mahogany from the far East superior to a all mahogany 1950s LP Custom??? Don't miss the forest for the trees...

Here's what you do, go to an actual store, as many a possible and try them out until you find one that sings. First thing you do it is play it up and down the fretboard and see if the neck is comfortable, that's really important. The next thing is tell the salesman you want to try it out in a quiet room away from the shredders. When he offers you a cord & amp, tell him no thanks, put your ear up against the body and listen to it. Play a chord, does it ring out??? Are the individual notes clear and distinct??? Or are they muddy??? Do the notes pulsate, like wha-wha-wha or do the go wah and then quickly decay???

Salesmen want you to plug it in to a good amp, because the amp sounds good. But the trick is to find a guitar that resonates acoustically, and it will translate to the amplified sound. You can always change pickups, buy a new amp to suit your needs, but there's nothing that will help a dead sounding guitar.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get too hung up on construction and materials. It's a good starting point, but don't automatically reject a guitar because of specs. You want the best playing and sounding guitar, not the one that looks good on paper.

Good luck!!!

Here's the scoop' date=' Epiphone has been in the Les Paul business since 1989. Originally they were made by Samick in Korea, and when Samick could no longer handle the demand, they contracted with other Korean manufactures like Unsung, Saien, Peerless... Then to several factories China & Indonesia. They built their own factory in China, but still use factories all over the world. Epiphone even had some guitars made in the Czech Republic!!! Add on top of this all the different variations of the Les Paul like Customs, Standard, Classics, Plus tops, Ultras, plain tops... I think at one point they even used Alder caps instead of maple. And then consider this, guitars made in the same factory weren't even always consistent with each other. I can tell the difference between a 1989 Samick made LP from a 1991 Samick LP at a glance.

So you got dozens of factories in different countries making millions of guitars over a 20+ year period, all with slight variations, different specs, and you want to know how thick the top is on a ???

Be suspicious of the word cap. That usually implies a thinner piece of maple than an actual top. That's why most Epiphones use short pots rather than the long shaft pots used on Gibson LPs. Short pots don't make it through the thick maple tops on the Gibbys. If it doesn't specifically say 3/4", assume it's a thin cap. And I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the standard issue Epi LPs do not have a a thick maple top. At best they have a thick maple veneer. Maybe the Slash models have a full top, or the '59 tributes, but if doesn't say 3/4" don't assume it.

My question is why does it matter??? Is an Epiphone with a maple top and some mystery mahogany from the far East superior to a all mahogany 1950s LP Custom??? Don't miss the forest for the trees...

Here's what you do, go to an actual store, as many a possible and try them out until you find one that sings. First thing you do it is play it up and down the fretboard and see if the neck is comfortable, that's really important. The next thing is tell the salesman you want to try it out in a quiet room away from the shredders. When he offers you a cord & amp, tell him no thanks, put your ear up against the body and listen to it. Play a chord, does it ring out??? Are the individual notes clear and distinct??? Or are they muddy??? Do the notes pulsate, like wha-wha-wha or do the go wah and then quickly decay???

Salesmen want you to plug it in to a good amp, because the amp sounds good. But the trick is to find a guitar that resonates acoustically, and it will translate to the amplified sound. You can always change pickups, buy a new amp to suit your needs, but there's nothing that will help a dead sounding guitar.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get too hung up on construction and materials. It's a good starting point, but don't automatically reject a guitar because of specs. You want the best playing and sounding guitar, not the one that looks good on paper.

Good luck!!![/quote']

What he said !!! Great response. Specs can be cool, and can assist in lessening the chance for a dud...however you can build out of noting but the best, and still create a lifeless guitar. And all of this does not matter unless the hands can translate the musical message.

I have seen many terrific players pick up a $150.00 piece of junk and make it sing.

Now to answer your question about the tribute, it is supposed to have the full 3/4" maple cap according to the specs and judging by the overlap at the cutaway binding,mine appears as though it is exactly the same as the Gibson standard. However in the details it is supposed to have a one piece neck, and mine is 3 piece.

So from all of this, go try one it is a beautiful guitar, and with the upgraded electronics, locking tuners, hardshell case and new 9 step finish process. [cool]

Thanks for the detailed responses guys. I appreciate it. I've been playing (on and off stage) for over 40 years and I've learned a thing or two about selecting a guitar and most of what you say about finding a good guitar I agree with. This ain't my first rodeo, as they say.[cool]

My interest in the specs is just that... interest. It's nice to know what you've got in your hands (I'm still talking about guitars here!). Like you, I don't make any forgone conclusions based on specs. I plan to play a whole bunch of Epi LP's, Standard, Tribute, Custom Plus without prejudice based on specs.

Thanks again.

Archived