Gibson Brands Forums

Recent additions to the heap!

Albannach

I eventually got the tremelo arm for the S-500 but ordered the wrong type switch tip so that is still on the go but in the meantime I have just gotten hold of a reasonable S-800 and for a throw about, an Aria Pro II. Still p*ssed at missing out on an original beak headed S-500 in the same red as mine, it was a beauty!

So here is the bits and bobs.

LatestAquisitions.jpg

S-500, Aria Pro II, S-800

S-500TremeloUnit.jpg

S-500 with the KA humbucker and the trem arm - still no switch tip!

S-800TremeloUnit.jpg

S-800 with a poor Tremelo replacement job - 1st thing to be getting done on this guitar!

S-500S-800Headstocks-1.jpg

And of course! It's an E by G!

The S-800 has incredible pick ups. I was surprised at the difference between it and the S-500. The S-500 sounded weedy and out of breath compared to the S-800 which had great full tone throughout the pick up selection. The only gripe I have is the volume control because I can't swell it as easily as the S-500. I have a new CTS that I will replace it with and see if I can get it as controllable as the S-500. The tremelo even though it is a bit of a fatherless creation does work quite well despite the lack of the caps for the locking nut unit. I will be sourcing the correct replacement for it and getting rid of the holes to smarten it up a bit then a good buffing down and polish.

Not too bad a bargain for $175!

The Aria Pro II? Lacks any real punch from the pick ups, mind you it is a bit of a veteran! An '82 if I am right with the dating. At $100 it will do for bashing stuff out on and keep our son's grubby paws off my E by Gs!

Its pretty easy to retrofit a Floyd Rose where that Bennder used to be. The inside post-hole spacing should match up almost perfectly. In a nutshell, just drill the holes to the outside with the correct size bit and route about a 1/2 inch of trem hole to allow for the arm and its good to go.

Nice gits and I'm totally jealous! I really dig the S-800's. I never really did like the Tech-II pickups in the S-500.

Here's my modded S-500 with a retrofitted Floyd:

s5002.jpg

s5003.jpg

The Aria Pro looks like a knockoff of the X-1000.

x1000.gif

Albannach - curses to Ye! I SUDDENLY have this incredible

urge to play HOCKEY!!!!! [crying][woot]:^o

On a more positive note, I have YET to see an "EPI by GIBBY"

in the "flesh". Are they THAT rare????? I would love to play one,

but "Whar iz they?". I do like the RED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, yes.....

Albannach -

I have YET to see an "EPI by GIBBY" in the "flesh". Are they THAT rare????? I would love to play one' date='

but "Whar iz they?". I do like the RED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, yes.....[/quote']

AF,

I scour Evilbay once a week for them and have lost out on quite a few great examples of Epi super strats. From being a Strat type hater to an appreciative acquirer is a leap in faith! My GSs are neglected now!

There was a T-310 in excellent condition that went for about $170 compared to the one I saw on US EB - $345 or there abouts. I missed a beautiful translucent blue over figured maple early model EM2 that went for $100 and a cracking 'pre lawsuit' Metallic Red S-500 due to the sellers postal restrictions.

I think that we are fortunate on this side of the pond in that prices on Epi super strats do not command the prices that they do in the USA. Mind you there is one for sale in the states for $200ish that would tempt me if it were not for the shipping charges which are the same price as the guitar!

Just keep your eyes peeled!

Bah. The Epi super strats dont go for that much over here. People try, but often fail to get more than $200 for them. I've seen S-400, 500s & 600s for $150 that never sold. Craigslist is a much better indicator of prices. Ebay is often overpriced in the US.

The trans blue over maple EM sounds like one of the newer models. The older 90's versions were solid colored with gold hardware and reverse headstocks. The colors were black, cherry, white and baby blue. There may be another color in there that I am forgetting. but no trans over figured maple that I know of.

Archived