Gibson Brands Forums

Anything else I should fix or improve?

sachi

I'll be taking the Joe Pass to a luthier soon to get the bridge pinned. When I do, what other reasonable mods or improvements should I make to the guitar? (Not the electrics, more the setup.) Would it be useful to have the nut replaced with better material, or . . . ? Any suggestions?

I'll be taking the Joe Pass to a luthier soon to get the bridge pinned. When I do' date=' what other reasonable mods or improvements should I make to the guitar? (Not the electrics, more the setup.) Would it be useful to have the nut replaced with better material, or . . . ? Any suggestions?[/quote']

Yeah, a well cut bone nut is a major improvement for minor bucks!!!

The Joe Pass comes stock with a wooden bridge' date='

What about an adjustable bridge ?

Peter[/quote']

Well, that's a possibility. What could I gain in the way of sound, outside of potentially improved intonation?

Keep in mind that I can't hear well and I would not notice the minute changes in intonation. I do notice differences in tone clarity and sustain.

Replacing the wooden bridge with a metal one, whether a tune-o-matic style or bar bridge like a Tru-Arc, will make the tone somewhat brighter and crisper with more definition and sustain. Whether that's desirable or not is, of course. a matter of personal taste.

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't done so already, I'd get something very straight and try adjusting your truss rod to make the neck as flat as possible and then see how level your frets are. Mine were a mess, I levelled and crowned them myself for less than what my local git tech charges and I have to say it's the best improvement I've made to my guitar. If you do this, you may or may not need a new nut too, so if you're considering changing the nut anyway, I'd at least assess the situation before you take it in.

Archived