Gibson Brands Forums

Argh!

Albannach

Taking the back plate off the S-800 to fit the new CTS volume pot and guess what? It does not fit! Looks as though there were some front design changes that were not compensated by the back side routing so it will have to be a mini pot as the one squeezed into the cavity as below. If you look at the bottom right corner of the control cavity you can see that one of the securing screws is almost in fresh air!

S-800Controls.jpg

Another thing that I found was that the tremelo cover is not flush as on the S-500 - why not? - the S-800 is higher in the range of the S types and therefore should be better finished but, alas no! Small potatoes really.

S-800BackPlates.jpg

The ever helpful Robinthehood has provided good details as to what the tremelo should be so that is the next item of purchase. Couple that with the great PUs and we are go!

By the way - where are the rest of you S type owners hiding? There must be quite a few in a membership of over 7, 500. So get your geets posted, especially any S-900s!

On another note, I have been told, NO MORE GUITARS! Why not? Each is individual to sound and playing, are we not all told that variety is the spice of life?

collection.jpg

Apologies for the photograph quality but I was balanced on the top of my armchair at the time!

...quote in part: Taking the back plate off the S-800 to fit the new CTS volume pot and guess what? It does not fit! Looks as though there were some front design changes that were not compensated by the back side routing so it will have to be a mini pot as the one squeezed into the cavity as below. If you look at the bottom right corner of the control cavity you can see that one of the securing screws is almost in fresh air!

Well' date=' you still have 3 of the 4 screws securing the cover, [u']don't worry[/u] about it.

If you look at the bottom right corner of the control cavity you can see that one of the securing screws is almost in fresh air!

Haha! Typical Samick Epiphone craftmanship. The battery cavities on all THREE of my EBMs are the same way...even the $1000 Expert-6. It didnt phase me too much with the cheaper EBMs, but when I opened up the 6-string, I just scratched my head and thought "WTF?!?!?".

Before you go out and buy a Floyd for the bridge, take some measurements and make sure that I am correct about it having a Bennder tremolo on it prior to the vintage replacement bridge. They came with either a Bennder, Schaller Floyd, or a Steiberger KB. Who knows, if it had a Floyd on it originally, it may just pop right in.

The tremolo cover on my S-500 sits on top of the body. Its not flush like yours. Different years I guess.

Robin' date='[/b']

I must be going senile! You are right, the cover is surface mounted on the S-500. I think I need new glasses, I just took a quick look at it on the passing yesterday.

Never mind, it is still a great sounding guitar and going to be better.

Vomer,

The Sherri is waiting on a couple of parts before the rebuild and I really miss those warm bluesy tones that it has.

Note to self:- get the finger out!

Archived