Gibson Brands Forums

STEINBERGER GM4

danielebassani

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered a GM4S (BRAND NEW FROM STEINBERGER, had some left from way back when) And I wanted to know if it is a pretty good guitar.. Good enough to be worth 1350 dollars? Do they play good? I know they sound good, but i wanted to know if they were smooth and felt good to play them. I hope I'm not disappointed when I get it!! I shouldn't be!!

I just ordered a GM4S (BRAND NEW FROM STEINBERGER' date=' had some left from way back when) And I wanted to know if it is a pretty good guitar.. Good enough to be worth 1350 dollars? Do they play good? I know they sound good, but i wanted to know if they were smooth and felt good to play them. I hope I'm not disappointed when I get it!! I shouldn't be!!

[/quote']

Is it like this.

GM-4S

Yes' date=' I just realized It WASN'T from way back when, but I still think it is a good investment. My friend got the only other one just like mine:

Is 1350 too much, or do you think it will be worth something in the long run?[/quote']

Well probably not. It is $ 350 more than I paid for a new one a year ago. But since they are not available anymore it may be a good price? Who did you get it from? I am not aware of any Gibson/Steinberger dealer that would be selling them?

Well probably not. It is $ 350 more than I paid for a new one a year ago. But since they are not available anymore it may be a good price? Who did you get it from? I am not aware of any Gibson/Steinberger dealer that would be selling them?

They come straight from Steinberger. Any Steinberger dealer can sell them. Here's the link: http://www.steinberger.com/usa

That is interesting' date=' does the back of the neck on your new GM-4S show a fiber weave or is it a satin black?[/quote'] What do you mean? I don't know, I'd have to ask my friend, he got his before me, I don't have mine yet.. But look at the model number of them, i didn't think they used those numbers on musicyo. But he says they were musicyo. I have no idea.

What do you mean? I don't know' date=' I'd have to ask my friend, he got his before me, I don't have mine yet.. But look at the model number of them, i didn't think they used those numbers on musicyo. But he says they were musicyo. I have no idea.[/quote']

Well, the reason I ask is they started using a neck from a different vendor at the end of production and I was trying to see what the ones you guys are getting have on them.

How did you order it. Online or by phone?

Well' date=' the reason I ask is they started using a neck from a different vendor at the end of production and I was trying to see what the ones you guys are getting have on them.

How did you order it. Online or by phone?[/quote']By phone, from a music shop (steinberger dealer) in North Carolina, It's called Jammin' Johns Music. Are the necks similar or is one better than the other? =

By phone' date=' from a music shop (steinberger dealer) in North Carolina, It's called Jammin' Johns Music. Are the necks similar or is one better than the other? =[/quote']

It is hard to say because there has not been a lot reported on the Fibersonixx necks. I have two and they have an issue with the head piece and one had the truss rod nut split in two. The Moses necks that were used before that had fret issues. Frets coming out and things like that. We were looking forward to a new vendor but there were not enough of them sent out to see if quality control on those was better.

It is hard to say because there has not been a lot reported on the Fibersonixx necks. I have two and they have an issue with the head piece and one had the truss rod nut split in two. The Moses necks that were used before that had fret issues. Frets coming out and things like that. We were looking forward to a new vendor but there were not enough of them sent out to see if quality control on those was better.

What was wrong with the headpiece on yours? Is the S-trem any good? A lot of people say it's just like a non-transposing transtrem and they're interchangeable. So I guess the R-trem just sucks?

What was wrong with the headpiece on yours? Is the S-trem any good? A lot of people say it's just like a non-transposing transtrem and they're interchangeable. So I guess the R-trem just sucks?

The head piece was not put on correctly. It was shifted over toward the high E string side making it real easy to pull the string off the fret board.

I do not own the S-Trem. Mine have T-Trems and I paid $995 new for MusicYo about a year ago. The S and T-Trems use the same route so you can interchange them. The difference is the way they lock and of couse the cam that lets the T transpose.

The R-Trem is a good trem very under rated. I have three guitars with them and three with T-Trems. The R-Trems are way more radical. You can drop them till the strings go completely slack. That is why they have the rubber band on the head piece so when you drop it that low the stings won't come off.

How did you find out about them? The dealer told you or did you ask them and they checked?

The head piece was not put on correctly. It was shifted over toward the high E string side making it real easy to pull the string off the fret board.

I do not own the S-Trem. Mine have T-Trems and I paid $995 new for MusicYo about a year ago. The S and T-Trems use the same route so you can interchange them. The difference is the way they lock and of couse the cam that lets the T transpose.

The R-Trem is a good trem very under rated. I have three guitars with them and three with T-Trems. The R-Trems are way more radical. You can drop them till the strings go completely slack. That is why they have the rubber band on the head piece so when you drop it that low the stings won't come off.

How did you find out about them? The dealer told you or did you ask them and they checked?

My friend told me about the link and the store that sold them. And the GM4S has the little rubber thing on top too. Where did you get your T-trems?

My friend told me about the link and the store that sold them. And the GM4S has the little rubber thing on top too. Where did you get your T-trems?

The guitar was offered with the T-Trem or the S-Trem (GM-4S or GM-4T) when they were in production so mine came with the guitar. I'm sorry, I may have mislead you. I bought a GM-4T for $995 from MusicYo about a year ago. It was a great deal.

If you are looking for a T-Trem that will be a tough one. They are in high demand and usually go for $900 just for the trem.

The guitar was offered with the T-Trem or the S-Trem (GM-4S or GM-4T) when they were in production so mine came with the guitar. I'm sorry' date=' I may have mislead you. I bought a GM-4T for $995 from MusicYo about a year ago. It was a great deal.

If you are looking for a T-Trem that will be a tough one. They are in high demand and usually go for $900 just for the trem.[/quote']oh my god!! That's cheap as hell! You're very lucky. If I can't find an original (it's going to be VERY hard) Then I'll probably have to settle for the Korean made ZT3 DX. I hope it's worth it, then. I would suspect it would be worth something, though, considering you can't even get the musicyo ones anymore. Not as much, of course, as an original, but definately something. I hear with the musicyo ones you have to do a lot of adjustments? What would this be? I'm not really one to adjust things on guitars, I just play them. What would I have to do?

oh my god!! That's cheap as hell! You're very lucky. If I can't find an original (it's going to be VERY hard) Then I'll probably have to settle for the Korean made ZT3 DX. I hope it's worth it' date=' then. I would suspect it would be worth something, though, considering you can't even get the musicyo ones anymore. Not as much, of course, as an original, but definately something. I hear with the musicyo ones you have to do a lot of adjustments? What would this be? I'm not really one to adjust things on guitars, I just play them. What would I have to do?[/quote']

Yes, great deal!

Adjustments: It depends on what neck you get but most that I have received needed the neck adjustment that was described recently on the Steinberger_world yahoo group. You must be a member or your friend is because someone was saying they just got a new GM-4S and the E string was coming off the side and would not play.

Anyway bolt on necks can be out of adjustment not being straight in line with the strings. This is an easy adjustment loosening the neck bolts and adjusting it to line up with the strings. Of course you have to loosen the strings first.

If you have the Fibersonxx neck with the offset headpiece this is a little trickier. I did it with shims. Not the best way and most people would not accept a $1300 guitar with this issue and would return it. Just depends on how severe the offset is. If it is the Moses neck then you will probably need to do some fret work on it. What did you friend get the one that shows the weave on the back of the neck or the satin black?

Yes' date=' great deal!

Adjustments: It depends on what neck you get but most that I have received needed the neck adjustment that was described recently on the Steinberger_world yahoo group. You must be a member or your friend is because someone was saying they just got a new GM-4S and the E string was coming off the side and would not play.

Anyway bolt on necks can be out of adjustment not being straight in line with the strings. This is an easy adjustment loosening the neck bolts and adjusting it to line up with the strings. Of course you have to loosen the strings first.

If you have the Fibersonxx neck with the offset headpiece this is a little trickier. I did it with shims. Not the best way and most people would not accept a $1300 guitar with this issue and would return it. Just depends on how severe the offset is. If it is the Moses neck then you will probably need to do some fret work on it. What did you friend get the one that shows the weave on the back of the neck or the satin black?[/quote']I emailed him and he hasn't responded yet. It says on the steinberger website i think.. It just says... It doesn't say truss rod. It says "Steinberger one piece graphite neck and fingerboard."

I emailed him and he hasn't responded yet. It says on the steinberger website i think.. It just says... It doesn't say truss rod. It says "Steinberger one piece graphite neck and fingerboard."

It will have a truss rod.

It will have a truss rod.

Oh ok. So is it the original or the Fibersonixx? Can you tell? It has the Dunlop 6150 Jumbo frets. I'll list the things it has:

Body: Figured Maple on Solid Alder

Neck: One piece graphite neck and fingerboard

Pickups: EMG-85 and 2 - EMG-SA's

Bridge: Patented Locking S-Trem with 40:1 Direct-Pull tuners

Scale: 25.5"

Fingerboard Radius: 16"

Frets: Dunlop 6150 Jumbo

Number of Frets: 24

Nut Width: 1-5/8" at zero fret

Electronics: Passive Equalization

Controls: 1 Master Volume, 1-Master Tone, 1- 5-way selector switch

Length: 30-1/4"

Weight: 7.75

And that's all I know about it. except that it's sweet and looks awesome. hahaha

They will not indicate this on the description.
Ahh ok. And just for information, I'm not TwistedWrister on the Steinberger_world forum thing. I've just requested becoming a member though. Just so there's not any confusion. I think that may be my friend that got one though.

Archived