Gibson Brands Forums

What model is this guitar?!

NunoJS

pic2ry.th.jpg

Hi, sorry my english.

I'm from Portugal and I've this steinberger guitar.

I don't know many things about it, I think it have maybe 20 years or more, and that it was bought in Europe.

I can't find the serial number.

I hope someone can help me.

Thank you.

NunoJS

Olá, Nuno!

(Hello, Nuno!)

Pelo tipo de cavaletes do tremolo, os botões dos potenciômetros, e a configuração H-H, só pode ser uma Hohner G2T.

Como disse o Eagle, o logo é falso e se descolares o autocolante, deverás encontrar o logo Hohner Professional.

(By the trem saddles type, the pots knobs and the H-H layout, it can only be a Hohner G2T.

As Eagle said, the logo is fake and if you'll lift the sticker, you should find the Hohner Professional logo.)

Saudações (Cheers),

JPB

Well, I suppose that Hohner is not so good...

But tell me, do you know what that 2 selectors are for?

There are one tone knob, than the 2 selectors with 2 positions each, another knob for the volume and another selector with 3 positions, for the pickups.

Thank you, again.

NunoJS

Hello again!

Hohners are as fine and as good as Spirits, all these are made out of the same components (same wood, same R-trem and headpiece, same electronics too) and at the same Korean factory as well.

The only major differences are the trem saddles (no stainless "rollers" on Hohners), the control knobs (anodized aluminium on Hohners) and pickup selectors:

All headless Hohner guitars do use toggle switches for selecting the pickups.

On guitars with 3 pickups, a row of individual On-Off toggles do the job so you can also have neck+bridge or even all three pickups On at the same time, or all Off if you'll not take care enough while playing - or if you'll really want to mute the guitar... ;-)

But in the case of the G2T, it always does have signal output, as only a 3-way toggle switch exists originally, placed in between the two knobs.

The electronics in your guitar seem to have been tweaked to some extent, so aside from that 3-way toggle being the pickup selector all the same, those additional toggles may be there for coil splitting, as the pickups you've got aren't the original Hohner / EMG Select, but any other make with 3-screw mounts, instead.

There's only one way for you to understand what the wiring is now: just take a screwdriver, a sheet of paper and a pen, open the control cavity and start drawing the components first, and all the wiring after.

You may do the same regarding the pickups if you'll want to see what they are, perhaps the make and model are in there, also they'll probably have four leads each...

About the serial number, on Hohner G..Ts this is usually placed at the right (down, when playing) side of the trem's master tuning knob.

Cheers, JPB

Archived