Gibson Brands Forums

Wich TREM do my GL have ?

krma777

Hi folks,

I read carefully the trem history on steinberger website and understood the upgrade policy once run by Steinberger, but I couldn't find any trem like mine...

I got this white GL back in 95, but I guess it's been made in 87 or 88. Serial number is : 3349

Could anyone tell what period this trem was manufactured ?

Thanks

Nicolas

http://www.zenclub.fr/stein_gl1.jpg

http://www.zenclub.fr/stein_gl2.jpg

Thank you Bernd. Unfortunately the transposing feature is not really possible on this one. I recently bought new brass saddles (found in an eBay store in south Korea, for those interested, they re-build spare parts for Steinies), as the high E is not rolling anymore at all. Any way to know the year of creation via the # serial n° ?

Thank you Bernd. Unfortunately the transposing feature is not really possible on this one. I recently bought new brass saddles (found in an eBay store in south Korea' date=' for those interested, they re-build spare parts for Steinies), as the high E is not rolling anymore at all. Any way to know the year of creation via the # serial n° ?[/quote']

Your GL has been built in 1985, according to this list: Serial number list

The hardware JCustom sells is for the TransTrem Type2. There are only very few TT1 guitars, so it will be quite hard to get spare parts for this one. You should probably ask your question here: SteinbergerWorld Yahoo Group

That's the place where you can find a lot of information, experienced users and some luthiers (e.g. Jon Bondy). If anybody, then Jon or Andy (Yakubik) can help.

Bernd

Woaw great info ! Thanks. Do you mean the saddles I ordered won't fit my trem ? :-) Damned

I assumed cavity size would be the same for TT1 and TT2... We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for your precious help !

Woaw great info ! Thanks. Do you mean the saddles I ordered won't fit my trem ? :-) Damned

I assumed cavity size would be the same for TT1 and TT2... We'll see.

Not necessarily. I simply don't know it, since I've never had the chance to get my hands on a TT1. I just know that the JCustom parts are labelled "for TT2" or "for S-Trem". Maybe they fit also on a TT1.

Bernd

Ok, I think they are the same, at least they seem to be identical.

Last question : any chance to hear your GM somewhere on youtube ? I'll post extracts of my last gig with the GL soon on the tube.

Peace

ps : I joined the steinie yahoo group.

Last question : any chance to hear your GM somewhere on youtube ?

There's only one video on youtube' date=' where I've played all the guitar tracks on a friend's project:

The finger-picked rhythm tracks and the solo are both played with a GM-7, not the GM-4 from my avatar. And yes, these are my fingers on the video ;-)

ps : I joined the steinie yahoo group.

A good idea :-)

Bernd

Coooooll song ! Amazing tone during the solo. What amp is used ? I bet it's not a marshall :-)

Well… actually I have a Soldano X88R and a Boogie Caliber 50. But… I hate to say this… you hear a POD XT (I used the Soldano model as a basis) [cool]

Bernd

Damned ! I'm actually wondering how to let go tube amps as it weights a ton and often sound oversaturated at high volume output. Maybe the pod xt is the solution [cool]) I tried VG99, often use a GT10 but never found a real efficient tone and 90% satisfying tone. Small racks sounds great for recording but often sucks on stage or in DI to mixing console.

I would buy any equipment wich could fit studio and stage needs, while beeing smaller than a laptop.

Some great tones in guitar rig or amplitube also, I use them a lot at home but never dared using them on stage.

Guitar tone chasing is exhausting :-)

Did you ever test pod xt on stage ? Reliable ?

Did you ever test pod xt on stage ? Reliable ?

Well, currently I'm not on any stages, but I'm using the POD once a week for band rehearsals (just a session band with some permanent members and guests). The situation is pretty much the same, and I didn't have any problems yet (for more than three years now). Since about half a year I also own an AxeFX Ultra, which is quite a step beyond what a POD can do. But due to limited time I didn't manage to set it up as a complete replacement for the POD yet, and to be true, for our rehearsals the POD is good enough. Currently I'm still fiddling with the Axe settings, trying to find my personal setup. But this is not so urgent, I'm missing almost nothing. For your purpose, I can recommend both, knowing that the Axe is another class, as far as sound and price are concerned.

Bernd

Is it the perfect machine we're all waiting for?

Well' date=' depends on your expectations, "perfection" is a big word. There are quite a lot of great guitar players meanwhile who think the AxeFX is "perfect". Dweezil Zappa, John Petrucci… see the AxeFx Artists. I'm sure one day there will be a more "perfect" device, and then another one…

Anyway, it looks like the best guitarist's "swiss knife" you can currently get.

Bernd

FYI, saddles arrived from Korea very quickly and they fit perfectly in the TT1. I'm glad to be able to use the trem at full speed [cool]) This Korean guy is really awesome. Expensive, but awesome. We're lucky to have the opportunity to find spare parts for these glorious relics :-)

Clean the originals (lube and get the rollers going)and refit them ,they are vastly better than the brass ones you've put on Your trem is an unmodified Type1(the best one) in fantastic condition on a white GL ,this is almost as good as it gets in terms of value $6k+

thank you but one of them won't roll anymore it's kind of 100% blocked, that's why I purchased and installed the new ones. They sound a bit brighter than the older ones, and it's ok for me as I put Duncans pickups. I kept the old ones preciously for sure !

BTW : no one on earth would spend $6k to buy my GL :-)

I'll give it for free ! (Once I'm cold dead) [cool])

Archived