Gibson Brands Forums

TT1 tuning issue on GL

krma777

Ok guys,

I have to confess : my good ol' TT1 is going a bit out of tune. [cool]

Especially the G string. I'm using both d'addario 11/42 and LaBella.

Note this happend several weeks before I changed the saddles, they can't be charged for that. I noticed it since last rehearsals but thought it was "biohasard":-({|= .

I tried to tightened the big tension spring, to lose it a whole step... Still the same.

Note also it never happened for 20 years, so what can have cause this little imperfection ? Normal aging ?

Should I look down under if something got lose ?

Thanks

Nicolas

Time for a rebuild and clean, maybe new bearings. I find D'addario strings rarely calibrate over the whole range as well as Labella . I had a whole box of D'addario's with the Gs and the Es out .

Ho my god ! In fact, I just followed string ball depth (on TT1) to be as close as shown on TT2 jaws. Means B and G string frankly deeper in the hole than other strings. It seems to change everything ! These instructions were for TT2 but I thought this transposing rule for each string tension should be the same on mine :-) I'm actually testing but tuning stability seems 100% ok. Let's say 99, wich is already a miracle when diving like a dumb.

Only this detail was missing haha, guitar alchimy is a really awesome science.

BTW it's written it remains less than 100 unmodified TT1 ? Woaw, I'll be keeping an eye on my Steinie on next gig ;-)

Thanks for your help (again).

Well, I was going to this morning and I found out - after the water + detergeant cleaning - NONE of the saddles would roll anymore ! I have to lubricate them all but unfortunately don't have "degrip' oil" at home. I became nervous first but thought I would probably find a cool guy in my lifetime, able to fix them. They look pretty new actually, only the rollers are kind of "passed" and they don't roll anymore now :-)

I'm certainly the worse guitar "unluthier" of the planet, so I'll let professionnals take care.

But I must say I really like the cheaper brass saddles. Adds some clarity to the string sound.

Take them all apart as shown on Steinberger world clean them in WD40 lube and reassemble should be easy. You can polish the sides of each roller to a smooth shine before you reassemble and burnish the barrings . Don't let water anywhere near any part of your guitar.

Archived