Gibson Brands Forums

'70s Gibson dreadnoughts...advice needed...

Jinder

As you can tell from my sig, I'm a fan of Gibson's square-shouldered Dreadnought output...I have a Hummingbird and a Dove, but have been considering getting my mitts on a vintage dread. I fully accept that, unless the next record I put out sells beyond my wildest dreams, I'll never be able to afford a '50s or '60s era dread, but I have a contact who has two Hummingbirds, a '71 and '73, and two J45s, a '73 and '79, for sale at very reasonable prices. The '71 Hummingbird is very well worn and has plenty of mojo, but has an adj. bridge, which puts me off a little. The '73 Bird is in very clean condition, and has a natural top, which I find very appealing. The '73 J45 is in Cherryburst and has some handsome mojo/playwear and an unusual firestripe 'guard, and the '79 J45 is a dark sunburst and appears to be exceptionally, even unusually clean and tidy.

What do you folks think would be the best selection of the four? I've yet to play any of them as the guy in question lives a fair way away from me.

Is there anything I should know or look out for with these guitars? I am aware that the Nashville and K'zoo guitars of the '70s were somewhat different to the Bozeman beasts produced nowadays, double-X bracing etc, but some pointers on what to look out for and what to expect would be great.

What do you folks think would be the best selection of the four? I've yet to play any of them as the guy in question lives a fair way away from me.

That's like asking us which girl you should marry. I think you're going to have to take that drive, and then suffer through having to play each one and deciding for yourself which one you like best. Other than checking out the general condition, I can't think of anything to watch out for specific to those instruments.

I have owned and played a 72, J45 since 75. The only thing I can tell you is the top dip story. I kept thinking I must have loose braces, but no, there are simply dips in the top, no cracks just dips. Must be thin cut wood.

Tuners,body,finish, neck, bridge, saddle are fine after all these years of hard play. Showing some fret-board wear in the cowboy cord area.

Mine is simply a good playing guitar.

One thing, since the non-scalloped, double X braceing toned down the volume a tad, mine tends to need new strings more often than my other Dreds, in order to keep max volume.

I prefere lights.

Dale.

Ditto J45Dale.

My 79 SS Norlin J45 is far from mint but continues to do "exactly what it says on the tin" and has done so since I bought it in 1982!

Dale is 100% correct on the projection issue, string changes need to be more frequent.

Neck joints and some cracking around the top table area are not unknown but you know all this from previous threads.

If I am correct and your contact is the guy your B15 came from, then you know and trust the supplier. The blond 'bird does look very good but to my mind the 73 J 45 looks a tad incongruous but then again to me a J45 is 'burst, each to his own.

The only regret I have withn mine is that 20 years ago I had an LB transducer put in, I should have left the "control panel" off and not cut it!

You might want to have a look at Wunjos in Denmark Street

http://www.wunjoguitars.com/index.php?sid=2&mid=3

Seemed a knowledgeable guy and had some good J45s last time I was up there.

Denmark Street prices though!

John

Thanks for the advice, guys! JohnT, yes it is the same contact I got my B15 from and he is a great guy with an ear for great guitars-his own personal guitar is an amazing, amazing early '60s Hummingbird-the kind of tone that us mere mortals can only dream of. I've played it and could not imagine much better a guitar. He's a Bird/square shoulder enthusiast, and most certainly knows his onions with regard to them, but I think the only way I'm going to get to choose is to go play them. I just have to find some money first!

There are pitfalls aplenty in this period: not just braces, but huge bridgeplates and thick pickguards. These are old, not vintage collectables, tho I understand the appeal of eye candy. If the price is right and ya gotta have it, well, the Birds have more value. Even the adj bridge one. The firestripe guard on the 45 is aftermakret, Id avoid that. Have you asked how high the action is, cracks, whether they stay in tune, etc. Worth checking. Any sense on how reputable the seller is? Can you return if not satisfied.

JK, thanks for the advice...I've bought from the seller before, he is a from-home dealer and a great guy. I think the Bird may be the way to go...I will have to wait a month or two before I can afford it, if then even. but I will hang fire and go try the guitars when I have the time and money. If one speaks to me, It will come home with me :-)

Archived