Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Goth Explorer

Peyton

Hi. I am interested in buying an Epiphone Goth Explorer. Could someone tell me a bit about this guitar, and if it is a good value for the money? Also, does it have a thin neck? And how is the action? Also, would it fit in a case that a Dean Michael Schenker Standard V and Dean BBolt Fr ML fits into until I get a case designed for it?

Hi. I am interested in buying an Epiphone Goth Explorer. Could someone tell me a bit about this guitar, and if it is a good value for the money? Also, does it have a thin neck? And how is the action? Also, would it fit in a case that a Dean Michael Schenker Standard V and Dean BBolt Fr ML fits into until I get a case designed for it?

Welcome to the forums, and excellent choice; my primary guitar is an Epi Gothic Explorer.

It is a great value, especially if you can pick one up fairly cheap; the Goth series don't tend to sell well and can often be quite a bit cheaper. I have an '04 Korean one, and it is fantastically resonant. Mine came with one high fret (the 9th at the low-E end) and after getting that polished away the action goes lower than I am comfortable with before it buzzes.   [biggrin]

Now, I've said this a million times here, but the actual build quality of the guitar isn't up to the standard of my Prophecy Les Paul. The bridge pickup is very slightly crooked (which I notice every time I look at the guitar because I'm a designer,) Half of the screw holes on the guitar came pre-stripped from the factory (although that's a very simple and cheap fix) and for whatever reason, the "Epiphone" on the TRC was crooked.

The guitar comes stock with Epi HB6N and HOTHB8B pickups, which I believe are the same as in the Les Paul Classic; I think they sound pretty good, although you will probably want something a bit hotter for hard rock or metal (I put in EMGs.) The stock electronics are also pretty junk. The Goth series now come stock with Grover Mini-Rotomatic tuners, which are one of my favorite tuners; rock solid, but the cheap plastic nut should be replaced ASAP (I went for a TUSQ XL.)

I honestly don't know much about neck profiles, but the Explorer's is just right for me.   [biggrin] The satin-finish neck is always a good addition, too. As for size, I'd place it at about even with the neck on my '03 P-Bass, although that probably doesn't help a great deal. If you want a slim neck, I'd recommend checking out the Epi Prophecy Futuras - the necks on the Prophecy series are fantastically thin, and the neck on my Explorer is definitely a bit thicker than that.

I can't answer your question about cases, as I don't have any experience with the two guitars you mentioned, although the Dean Bolt is a similar shape, so it should fit. It does fit perfectly into my Rockcase Explorer Case (even with a Bigsby on,) which was significantly cheaper than the Epiphone one and feels every bit as sturdy.

Lastly, I've modded my explorer quite a bit to get it just how I wanted it, and although a lot of the changes were for cosmetics, I opted for better parts in general since there was no point sticking with cheap junk. This is the only photo I have of it's current state, crappy cellphone-quality as it is:

exp_ph.jpg

Old, better photo (Pre-EMGs) :

sneakypeak.jpg

What I did:

-Chrome-covered EMG 85/60 pickups

-Bigsby B5

-Graphtech Resomax NV2 bridge

-Switchcraft switch (which is honestly flimsier than the stock Epiphone one   :rolleyes: )

-Chrome Grover Mini-Rotomatics (just replaced the black ones so they'd match the rest of the hardware. Chrome on matte black is slick   [thumbup])

-Changed all the visible screws from black to chrome.

What I'm gonna do:

-Get a B/W/B pickguard cut with a bit of a custom shape in it

-Get an engraved TRC to replace the junk stock one.

I've also shifted the forward strap button to the back of the guitar for better balance, and since the original one was already stripped out when I got it new.   :rolleyes: From what I did get from playing other explorers, this is a fairly necessary change or else the neck dive is killer.

explback.jpg

Thanks. That answered a lot of my questions. I think I will be getting it very soon. I'll be sure to post pics when I do. As for the pickups, I already planned on replacing them shortly after I got them

I quite enjoy my Explorer. It's a standard black, not a goth, but I still high recommend Epi Explorers of all varieties.

40599_1607397544220_1214625898_31663601_5432029_n.jpg

Also; listen to Sjael. He's our resident 'Splorer expert. I'm pretty sure he's sold me on EMGs and a Bigsby for mine.

I quite enjoy my Explorer. It's a standard black, not a goth, but I still high recommend Epi Explorers of all varieties.

40599_1607397544220_1214625898_31663601_5432029_n.jpg

Also; listen to Sjael. He's our resident 'Splorer expert. I'm pretty sure he's sold me on EMGs and a Bigsby for mine.

Isn't that a Epiphone 1958 Ebony? If so, is it better than the goth? If so, I'd rather get that, beccause it is only 100 more. By the way, I play a lot of heavy metal and thrash. Not blues, country, etc.

Isn't that a Epiphone 1958 Ebony? If so, is it better than the goth? If so, I'd rather get that, beccause it is only 100 more. By the way, I play a lot of heavy metal and thrash. Not blues, country, etc.

Yes. I'm pretty sure the differences are only cosmetic. Glossy finish instead of satin, gold hardware instead of black, a headstock inlay, covered pickups, etc. I found the bridge pickup a bit thin sounding, but the neck pickup was fine. All in all a very good guitar for heavy music. Like I said, Sjael's sold me on EMGs, and those are the preferred pickups of the heavy metal world, so I would look in to that for whichever you get, but it's up to you what you want. It's mainly the looks that are different.

Yes. I'm pretty sure the differences are only cosmetic. Glossy finish instead of satin, gold hardware instead of black, a headstock inlay, covered pickups, etc. I found the bridge pickup a bit thin sounding, but the neck pickup was fine. All in all a very good guitar for heavy music. Like I said, Sjael's sold me on EMGs, and those are the preferred pickups of the heavy metal world, so I would look in to that for whichever you get, but it's up to you what you want. It's mainly the looks that are different.

Alright, I'll stick with the Goth Explorer then. As for the pickups, I will change them out with most like EMG's (Probably an 81 and 60). Also, how are the tuning machine heads? Are they something I should change after a while? Or will they hold up nicely for quite a while?

Alright, I'll stick with the Goth Explorer then. As for the pickups, I will change them out with most like EMG's (Probably an 81 and 60). Also, how are the tuning machine heads? Are they something I should change after a while? Or will they hold up nicely for quite a while?

The tuners are grovers; they are good. So good, in fact, that I replaced the black grovers on mine with otherwise identical chrome ones, just for the chrome look.  [smile]

I have played an Explorer before and I wasn't really impressed with it.

Maybe I got one of those unlucky ones, but everytime I read what Sjael writes about Explorers, I get curious, and maybe I should get one...

I'm GASing all the time... I'll have to try another one out at a shop.

Thanks mate for your insights.

Sjael .... your Explorer looks great, man ... am sure it sounds so as well [thumbup] I think your swapping out black bits for chrome worked well, as otherwise the guit was perhaps a lil TOO black (and I LIKE black...heh). Have never played one, but .... many years of GASsing left in this old man, perhaps some day/one day... :-k

Archived