Gibson Brands Forums

Opinion on guitar stores

AlanH

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking about ordering a guitar unseen from one of two UK retailers with whom I've never dealt with before.

The stores in question are GAK in Brighton; and Dawsons who have a number of stores dotted around the UK (but none near to me). When I've bought guitars by mail order in the past I've preferred getting them boxed as factory as I can do my own set ups. However, I don't mind ex-display as long as they're in top condition.

So a question for members who have had guits from GAK or Dawsons, what is the condition of their stock and do their guits come well packaged?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

I'm not from the UK but, If I do Mail Order, I always make it a point to order from a Mail Order company rather than a local Guitar Shop. Guitar Center included. Some companies that I would reccomend are; www.americanmusical.com ,www.musiciansfriend.com, and www.music123.com I have done business with these 3 companies in the past and have never had any problems with them. They are the tops in their field. Check out their websites to see what their rates are for overseas shipping.

I bought my Guitar from GAK in about July/August 07. The guitar they sent me was serial numbered as June 06, so it wasn't exactly the newest guitar. I don't know if that would be an issue for you. Other than that I had no problems, but my cousin bought an Ibanez from them about the same time and had considerable problems, although I have no idea what his problems were.

Alan, I haven't had any experiences with either but you could/should consider Thomann as they have very good prices and the delivery fee is perfectly acceptable.

In addition, everything comes very well boxed in the original boxes and I never had an issue with them (nor with Musicstore).

So I'd compare the prices and shipping from both GAK and Dawsons with Thomann and then select the one that gives the better deal.

I've never bought mail order from Dawsons but I've used their Basingstoke store a few times. I bought my EJ200CE from them and it was in perfect condition and nicely set up. Having said that I don't know if they open boxes prior to shipping the mail order stuff - reason I'd be a bit wary and would certainly ring to double check is that, when I bought my EJ I also considered getting an Epi Dove. They only had one in stock (in a sealed Epiphone box). When we opened the box and gave it a once over it was the biggest heap of c**p I've ever seen. Glue bleed all over place, bracing looked like it had been cut with a blunt axe, rough edges around the soundhole, etc. Now this obviously isn't the fault of Dawsons but if they send out sealed boxes unseen and unchecked then someone would have been very unhappy to get that particular guitar.

The one store I would totally recommend is Andertons in Guildford. Their mail order service is the best I've ever used, often with no charge for delivery, and whenever I've bought from them the goods have never failed to arrive the following day. Only once did I receive something that was dead on arrival and it took one phone call to sort out.They sent me out a second unit for delivery by 9am the following day. Their prices are about the same as GAK but their service is second to none. Highly recommended. (I don't work for Andertons or have any connection to them other than that I buy loads of gear from them [biggrin].)

+1 for Andertons

They're about 10 miles from me and I can vouch for the quality of their service. Def one of my favourite music shops. Also would highly recommend Guitar Village in Farnham though they're planning to concentrate much more on high end and 'holy grail' stuff going forwards. They're used by a lot of big name guitarists (we have probably more than our fair share here in the Surrey Delta!) so their service levels are always tip top. Nice bunch of guys too!

Thanks Guys,

I have used Andertons and Thomann before and agree that they are both excellent retailers. Unfortunately they didn't have the guitar I was after - a Kramer Classic.

However, as luck would have it, I found another one at HW music which is close to my parents house and we happened to be visiting them this weekend. Therefore, I got to try it first. I've posted pics of the guitar in the Epi lounge.

Alan

Wow, everyone lives near where I grew up in Ash/Aldershot. I never knew... unfortunately now I'm stuck in crappy Leeds.

Yeah, there have been a lot of famous musicians in and around Surrey, my parents saw so many famous bands for free in the '60s and '70s at the original Guildford Festival and at the university of surrey.

There's apparently a good store in Godalming, a town which really is the hub of '60s rockers and seems to be constantly full of nothing but pretty young women.

Wow, everyone lives near where I grew up in Ash/Aldershot. I never knew... unfortunately now I'm stuck in crappy Leeds.

Yeah, there have been a lot of famous musicians in and around Surrey, my parents saw so many famous bands for free in the '60s and '70s at the original Guildford Festival and at the university of surrey.

There's apparently a good store in Godalming, a town which really is the hub of '60s rockers and seems to be constantly full of nothing but pretty young women.

God you're making me feel old - I remember the Surrey Free Arts Festivals at the Uni back in the mid 70's (I was 14/15 at the time). Watching bands like String Driven Thing, Vinegar Joe, Gryphon, Stackridge, etc for free. Those were the days - none of the corporate c**p which has infected the festival scene nowdays.

Archived