Gibson Brands Forums

ID this Epi!

bloozeguy

OK, here's something I saw in a book entitled something like "I Was There," a pic-book of concerts through the history of post-war pop that we all wish we coulda been at:

Johnny Cash at San Quentin. Clear shot of the lead player of the Tennessee 3 and his guitar which has a big ol' familiar, distinctive "e" on the pickguard. Hollow-bodied electric, single-cutaway, but mini-buckers. Looks to be 3 of them, in fact, though the bridge pup would be hidden. Any idea of what model this was and if it's ever been reissued in recent years?

Sounds like an original Epiphone Emperor (from the pre-Gibson days). A pic would help to make sure, but the Emperor was a gretbigol singlecut hollow body (18 1/2" wide at the lower bout, if I recall correctly) which did have three minibuckers in at least some of its incarnations.

OK, here's something I saw in a book entitled something like "I Was There," a pic-book of concerts through the history of post-war pop that we all wish we coulda been at:

Johnny Cash at San Quentin. Clear shot of the lead player of the Tennessee 3 and his guitar which has a big ol' familiar, distinctive "e" on the pickguard. Hollow-bodied electric, single-cutaway, but mini-buckers. Looks to be 3 of them, in fact, though the bridge pup would be hidden. Any idea of what model this was and if it's ever been reissued in recent years?

Here's a photo, not sure if it's the same one you describe:

Johnny%20Cash%20I.jpg

Note the bass player is also playing an Epi.

Here's a 3 pickup Emperor in the 1962 catalog:

epiphone62p3.jpg

And the 2 pickup Broadway version:

epiphone62p4.jpg

It's an Emperor thinline. Carl Perkins (of "Blue Suede Shoes" fame) took up the lead guitar spot with Johnny Cash when his original guitar player, Luther Perkins (no relation), died.

I don't know what amp he used, but that guitar was loud and mean on the At San Quentin album.

Archived