Gibson Brands Forums

Best tuners for my Sheraton II

pcarrilho

Hi!

This is my first post!

I have now a new SHERATON II guitar, and I love it!

I put new pickups (duncan Seth Lover set) a new pots, and it sound amazing!

The only proble i have with my Sheraton II, is abou the stock tuners (i think they are Groover...). The guitar don't stays in tune very well, so i want to replace the tuners with a good quality ones.

Can someonr please tell me what are the best tunners? There are good quality looking tunners to put on my Sheraton II?

Thank you!

Hello Pcarrilho,

First things first,

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new guitar. Please post pics. (It is not a to help us give a better

answer: it is more of a right of passage) lol

Your tuners: As you have already changed out the pups, can we presume you are not a beginner?

I, myself do not have a Sheraton. Sure do wish I did!

There are many others here that do so I am sure you will be getting better advice than I can give.

Just to cover the basics: Have you tried lubricating the nut? A binding nut can often be more of a problem than the tuners. Have you tried changing the pressure on the tuners by adjusting the screws on the tuner buttons?

Possible resource for new tuners: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners.html

If you look at their tuners they give all the measurements and specs.

What I don't know is what size holes are used on the Sheraton. (sorry, can't help you there)

Willy

The only proble i have with my Sheraton II, is abou the stock tuners (i think they are Groover...). The guitar don't stays in tune very well, so i want to replace the tuners with a good quality ones.

Can someonr please tell me what are the best tunners? There are good quality looking tunners to put on my Sheraton II?

Grovers are excellent tuners, no reason to change them. In fact, tuners are seldom the cause of guitars going out of tune. As Willy said, the strings could be binding in the nut. Or the bridge saddles.

Make sure the strings are tight around the tuner posts. That's the cause of most slippage. When you string the guitar, bring it up to tune and then pull up hard on the stings. Retune and keep doing it until the string tightens around the post. I like to lock the string under the windings, take a look at the A string in this photo:

hofner%20headstock.jpg

Notice that the end of the string goes under the winding, locking it against the post. That helps prevent it from slipping. I believe the booklet that comes with Epiphones show you how to do that even though they don't do it at the factory.

Good luck, and welcome to the camp!!!

Also you should tighten the screw in the end of each machine head as they do become slack with use. Try that and the suggestions others have made before spending money on new machine heads. Grovers are generally pretty good.

Good luck

Stewart

Archived