Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-200's circa the early 90's. Better than current offerings?

WeezyMcGee

I'm speaking to someone right now who SWEARS by the quality of Gibson's output circa the early 90's. He says their modern acoustic offerings, particularly the J-200 are nowhere near the overall quality of those offered in the early days of the Bozeman factory in the early 90s.

He claims that a J-200 from this era is more desirable and worth considerably more as a result of this early 90's mojo. I'm wondering, is there's any truth to this? Will a Gibson J-200 from the early 90's be worth more than an identical Gibson J-200 from 2010?

Basically I'm looking to trade my Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner for a J-200 with a bit of cash. I think a J-200 for the VS is not an even trade. At retail the VS with my specs sells for nearly $4500 current price of the J-200 is around what... $3600-$3700? Called elderly instruments and asked what they'd consign a pristine sunburst J-200 for... $2000-2200. My Vintage Southerner? $3000. This seems pretty clear that it ought to require cash to be made even and he disagrees. His reasoning is that early 90's Gibson J-200s are more highly sought after than what Gibson is currently putting out and worth more as a result. I can't find any evidence of anything that would verify this claim.

Having less experience with Gibson J-200s I'm more than willing to hear his point of view but I haven't seen anything to contradict what I've found... which is that a 90's J-200 isn't worth any more than a 2000's J-200.

He said if I asked the folks here I would get a better idea so I guess we'll see.

There are all sorts of rumors out there about Gibson guitars from this period or that period; take them all with a grain of salt. Try out a few examples of that model guitar from that and any other point in in time and just look for the one that feels and sounds best to you.

IMO, there has always been some variability between guitars of the same model and year (that's why a lot of people play them before they buy them) - this is true for early 90s product and well as today's product. So, have you played this guy's J-200? Does the playability and sound/tone make it a tad more valuable to you? Even if so, it's not worth more than a couple hundred extra bucks over what Eldery quoted you. Unless he's got an Elite or Custom, he's dreaming.

I purchased a new J-200 a while back and went through a few before I found the one I settled on.

Archived