Gibson Brands Forums

Having an Off Night?

FirstMeasure

We all have off nights, so I figured a thread about how you pull yourself out of it would be a good idea.

When I have a bad night it's usually because I'm dragging, or more properly known as "Playing Behind The Beat". Which is exactly what you want to do for blues, but not pop or rock.

"Playing On The Beat" means you you hit your down beat at the exact same time the drummer hits his down beat. "Playing Behind The Beat" means you purposely lag a bit and hit your down beat slightly behind the drummers beat (and I do mean Slightly). "Playing Ahead of the Beat" means you anticipate the down beat, hitting your down beat just before the drummer hits his down beat.

So, when you feel like you're killing a Pop or rock Tune, or rushing the blues, pay close attention to that Snare Drum and try to hit the right part of the beat.

Any more tips on keeping an "Off Night" from turning into a "Train Wreck".......

I was taught early on to "never let on!" If there is a mistake, or a train wreck on stage, do NOT look at each other, don't make faces, and keep going. 90% of the crowd wont even notice, and the 10% that did will forget by the next song unless YOU call attention to it.

Archived