Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson Signature Axcess

ron2112

Excerpt of an interview with Alex Lifeson.

Regarding the Les Pauls, have you made any new modifications to them?

"I haven't done anything since I got those guitars, but I've been working with Gibson on putting together a Les Paul Axcess model, which would be an Alex Lifeson signature guitar. It'll have the Floyd Rose, the piezo pickup in the bridge and single-coil taps in the volume pots. Basically, we've taken everything you could want in a guitar and we're putting it into a really true utility instrument in a fantastic platform."

Can we get any input from a Gibson mod?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ron,

I doubt Admin will chime in here - seems like they stopped responding to our questions a while ago...

If a Lifeson Signature Axcess does happen, I'll be happy, but also a little bummed.

The only way I could justify buying one would be to sell my Ice Tea Axcess, and I have 2 issues with that;

used Axcess guitars sell for a lot less than new ones, and mine plays and sounds fantastic, so I would miss it.

Still, I'm very interested to hear when these will be coming out...

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/alex-lifeson-interview-rush-guitarist-on-steampunk-solos-and-moving-pictures-274543

Hey Mean,

Pretty interesting interview. Enjoy.

I've been looking for a Les Paul for a while now. Almost picked up a used Axcess last year, but I was very undecided if I should get a Custom or Historic instead. Glad I did not pull the trigger. Hopefully we'll hear something on this Lifeson model soon.

This might have to be be a birthday, Christmas, Valantines Day, Father's Day and Ground Hogs day gift to myself.

Superdick2112...Happy to hear you are loving the Axcess. I have not come across anyone online that had negative things to say about that guitar.

• 3 months later...

RUSHian, I'll bet there is a good chance of an Epi version, as they already make an Epi Les Paul with a Floyd.

I wonder if the Gibby version will be a limited edition like my Lifeson ES-355, or a "make as many as we can sell" version.

Seeing as how I recently bought 2 new Ric basses, I probably won't be getting another Les Paul for some time...

• 3 weeks later...

Also available in a transparent wine red color.

http://guitarinternational.com/wpmu/2011/01/15/namm-show-2011-alex-lifeson-axcess-les-paul/

Other than the covered pickups & the piezo bridge, it appears to be a standard Axcess. I was hoping for a super-flamed top & abalone inlays (like Big Al's) as opposed to the pearloid ones, but overall, not too shabby!

Also available in a transparent wine red color.

http://guitarinternational.com/wpmu/2011/01/15/namm-show-2011-alex-lifeson-axcess-les-paul/

Other than the covered pickups & the piezo bridge, it appears to be a standard Axcess. I was hoping for a super-flamed top & abalone inlays (like Big Al's) as opposed to the pearloid ones, but overall, not too shabby!

I think I read elsewhere that the body is full thickness, not slimmer like the Axcess. I agree on the inlays and top. Not sure where they chose RED as a finish option.

I just read that the Alex Lifeson Axcess model will be a limited run of 50 signed units, 25 of each color, in Viceroy Brown and Royal Crimson. These will be signed by Alex, and then a run of unsigned production models will follow. List on the regular version is over $6k, and I don't know what the signed version will sell for, but I'll bet it won't be cheap!

I just read that the Alex Lifeson Axcess model will be a limited run of 50 signed units, 25 of each color, in Viceroy Brown and Royal Crimson. These will be signed by Alex, and then a run of unsigned production models will follow. List on the regular version is over $6k, and I don't know what the signed version will sell for, but I'll bet it won't be cheap!

The street price in Canada is 6150 for the signed model and 4075 for the non signed

The street price in Canada is 6150 for the signed model and 4075 for the non signed

Well, as much as I admire Big Al (and I really do), it looks like I'll be shooting for a non-signed red model, as I already have a standard Axcess in Ice Tea, and the red would look really nice next to my Lifeson ES-355.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as much as I admire Big Al (and I really do), it looks like I'll be shooting for a non-signed red model, as I already have a standard Axcess in Ice Tea, and the red would look really nice next to my Lifeson ES-355.

So you are going to get one, cool!

I just sent an inquiry to my favorite local dealer to find out about pre-orders. Having just shelled out for the ES-355 in September, and a bunch of new gear in December, I was secretly hoping this would be delayed a little longer, but there is no question I have to get one of these! And a red one will perfectly replace and upgrade my LP Studio in wine red.

So you are going to get one, cool!

I just sent an inquiry to my favorite local dealer to find out about pre-orders. Having just shelled out for the ES-355 in September, and a bunch of new gear in December, I was secretly hoping this would be delayed a little longer, but there is no question I have to get one of these! And a red one will perfectly replace and upgrade my LP Studio in wine red.

Well, I hadn't planned on it, but after seeing the red one, I'm gassing pretty hard. Wildwood Guitars here in Colorado has a few each of both colors on order, and will call me when they arrive. Like you, the timing isn't the best - I just picked up a Ric 4001C64 and an SWR Headlite, so I really shouldn't be thinking about more new toys right now.

Hmmm, tax return time IS just around the corner...

Yeah, I confirmed a pre-order with Steve @ Wildwood by phone yesterday. :)

EDIT: My deposit receipt from Wildwood includes the following description:

Gibson Alex Lifeson Signature Les Paul Axcess, Royal Crimson, Figured Maple Top, Mahogany Back, Mahogany Neck, 496R and 498T Pickups, Signature Custom Shop Hardsell Case

Just curious what you were quoted at wildwood for the guitar.

Im gassing bad for the red as well. Im just not sure if a Les Paul with a floyd is for me. Don't get me wrong, I have Ibanez's etc with floyds and I don't play them much as I'm so used to non locking systems for the past 7-8 years I don't know if I could go back to dealing with an allen wrench etc.. know what I mean?

Just curious what you were quoted at wildwood for the guitar.

Im gassing bad for the red as well. Im just not sure if a Les Paul with a floyd is for me. Don't get me wrong, I have Ibanez's etc with floyds and I don't play them much as I'm so used to non locking systems for the past 7-8 years I don't know if I could go back to dealing with an allen wrench etc.. know what I mean?

I don't think I should post their price, but I will say it is less than what was quoted above. Just call them, they have 10 coming (5 in each color) and I'm sure they would be happy to give you a quote.

Yeah, I hear you on the allen wrench. I am not bothered by it, but then again I'm not bothered by the volute either, so maybe I'm overly tolerant.

See I think I would be a lot happier with one of these than an Ibanez trem. I've had a number of cheap Ibanez and One Jem, and compared to an original floyd the edge sytems just feel like toys haha. Don't get me wrong I miss the Jem like hell, but that red model with the original floyd just sounds like a piece of amazing. all it needs is a d-tuna and then it would be perfect. I wonder what pups they're going to put in. I hope something like 57's or something like that. I love burstbucker and the 490/500 line are decent, but they are really flooding the market. Although I think I am the only one who believes that P90's make for some of the best Rush tones. I played my ex's mom's 63 SG with them in and the middle position was surprisingly perfect for limelight and even some snakes and arrows stuff. Let the P90 hate begin...lol

I don't think I should post their price, but I will say it is less than what was quoted above. Just call them, they have 10 coming (5 in each color) and I'm sure they would be happy to give you a quote.

Yeah, I hear you on the allen wrench. I am not bothered by it, but then again I'm not bothered by the volute either, so maybe I'm overly tolerant.

I just called to see and it is cheaper but to ship to canada with duty it works out to more.. which I figured anyways. Also they WONT ship north of the border for Gibson policy rules..

still gassing though.. and I dont mind the volute either..lol

By the way, I also confirmed that the signed ones will be limited to a run of 50, with 25 in each color, and that the regular production run will be 300 units, just like the 355, so 350 guitars total.

Also, the guitar does have two output jacks. Jack one is a combined jack, which will have both the regular PUP and the piezo signal. If a cable is also attached to Jack 2, then jack 2 will get the piezo signal and Jack 1 will only get the regular PUP signal. So you can use 2 cables if you want to but you don't have to. Also it will have 3 volume knobs and one master tone knob.

By the way, I also confirmed that the signed ones will be limited to a run of 50, with 25 in each color, and that the regular production run will be 300 units, just like the 355, so 350 guitars total.

Also, the guitar does have two output jacks. Jack one is a combined jack, which will have both the regular PUP and the piezo signal. If a cable is also attached to Jack 2, then jack 2 will get the piezo signal and Jack 1 will only get the regular PUP signal. So you can use 2 cables if you want to but you don't have to. Also it will have 3 volume knobs and one master tone knob.

Actually I have to correct you on the total units. I was given direct information from the distributor for Canada that there will be 300 units made a year for 5 years, so a total of 1500 guitars. There will only be 50 signed guitars total and those come first.

Actually I have to correct you on the total units. I was given direct information from the distributor for Canada that there will be 300 units made a year for 5 years, so a total of 1500 guitars. There will only be 50 signed guitars total and those come first.

Wow, that's quite a difference. Thank you for that. Obviously I can see where the confusion might have come from. I will try to verify through my source. I still don't understand why Gibson hasn't announced it on their web site given that it was shown at NAMM and there are flyers for it from NAMM for sale on eBay and obviously they are telling their dealers and distributors all about it, including pricing information.

Wow, that's quite a difference. Thank you for that. Obviously I can see where the confusion might have come from. I will try to verify through my source. I still don't understand why Gibson hasn't announced it on their web site given that it was shown at NAMM and there are flyers for it from NAMM for sale on eBay and obviously they are telling their dealers and distributors all about it, including pricing information.

I can tell you I called two stores in my area and they only got pricing info last week so its still fairly new. Also Gibson announces things in moderation. But ya I agree you'd think they would have something on the site.

Here is an image of the brochure handed out at NAMM. It is barely to almost legible... I lifted it off of eBay and so I can't provide anything better. It appears the last sentence says something to the effect of "Limited run of 50 signed unites (25 of each color) then regular run units"

So, who knows, it may not even be limited to 1,500.post-14747-042659300 1296682246_thumb.jpg

Archived