Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson Signature Axcess

ron2112

That would be interesting - my Lifeson ES-355 has a much slimmer & thinner neck than my Axcess Standard. You will have to keep us posted on this.

To those of you who have a new Lifeson Axcess - let's see 'em! Start posting some pix here!

Really? My impression from playing Axcesses in stores is that the necks are slimmer. But I don't own one (yet) so I haven't compared them side by side like you have.

In the Musician's Friend interview of Alex about the Lifeson Axcess guitar he describes the neck as "broad but shallow."

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know where my digital camera is or I'd take pics, my phone shoots kinda crappy photos.

I do have one question thought which only the owners thus far can answer, and I just noticed this today...

When I'm plugged into my amp using the regular output jack and I turn down the piezo volume, and both pickup volumes I can still hear at a very low volume through my amp whatever I play on the guitar so the volume of something isn't going all the way down to zero. It's louder on the higher gain channels. I think it might be the piezo but I'm not sure. I find this very strange indeed

Can someone who has the guitar try this and see if this is the case on theirs?

Just an FYI..

**edit** I just did a test where I plugged in the regular jack into the amp and just plugged a cord into the life-o-sound with that cord going nowhere. The sound when you turn down the volume knobs is now practically gone so the slight volume is coming from the piezo when from the regular jack. Also for the fun of it, I went back to using only the regular jack and disconnected the 9V battery and instantly the guitar becomes muddy and loses volume and tone ALOT. Once I plugged the battery back in the volume came up along with the gain on my amp. This means the battery is part of the circut no matter if you intend to use the piezo or not so always remember to change your battery as the sound is affected

I'd be happy to test the leakage issue out myself if I had the guitar and were not in nonstop pre-order limbo. That's a bit concerning, though, that the piezo doesn't zero out in volume -- it probably means it is affecting your tone somewhat when you are in magnetic pickup mode as well. Hopefully you just need some kind of physical adjustment to the piezo volume pot and it's no big deal. Can any other lucky recipients try this out? It would be nice to know if this is an issue with other Alex LPs.

I just got my (signed) Axcess yesterday but neither the Gibson Custom Shop nor Guitar Center had done any setup so I immediately dropped it off with Randy Parsons to have it done. Once I get it back I'll post a photo and playability notes. From the brief time that I spent with it in the store (I admit I wanted to get out of there fast both to avoid having anyone else touch it and to get to Parson's Guitar Shop before they closed) I can tell you that the body is slimmer and the neck is not brawny. The entire guitar definitely feels lighter than my Les Paul Studio. The maple top is gorgeous!

So has anyone else plugged in their Axcess yet? I did a gig with it Friday night and it sounds great but when I'm on a clean sound and especially on the neck pickup I can swear I heard Piezo bleed with a really high end pitch.

I tried this on my AL Axcess, I have a similar problem with the Piezo being audible even with all volumes at zero.

Here's a pic, same one I posted on therushforum.com:

dsc045452.jpg

I have a standard LP axcess as well, I think the necks are pretty similar. The biggest difference I notice besides the pups and electronics is the weight, the AL is a lot heavier!

I have a standard LP axcess as well, I think the necks are pretty similar. The biggest difference I notice besides the pups and electronics is the weight, the AL is a lot heavier!

Thanks for the photo and for the comment about the weight. I'm wondering if Alex specified an upgraded "big block" for the Floyd Rose? He's shown on the FloydUpgrades.com web site using one of their products (they don't say which one). Maybe you could take the back plate off of both your regular Axcess and your Lifeson and compare them?

al_bbu_lrg.jpg

http://www.floydupgrades.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66

This might explain the weight difference. Whenever he's interviewed about his guitars, Alex always talks about the weight and seems to think heavier is better.

Also, is your regular Axcess in the "Ice Tea" color? I'd love to see the Ice Tea and the Viceroy Brown side by side to see how they are different. I have a Viceroy Brown one on order.

Solitarypine:

As you wish (anything for another AL-355 owner, AL252 here) ---

dsc04563m.jpg

dsc04564qg.jpg

You win the prize, here is the floyd block shot, brass block as you thought on the AL!

dsc04568k.jpg

Finally a closeup of the AL FR:

dsc04567e.jpg

Hope this helps- I only had to wait a few weeks for mine, but I was watching GC like a hawk for it when they first got announced.

Thanks for those amazing pics!!! I can't afford the real Alex Axcess right now, so I bought the Epi Pro FX:

It plays great, but the bridge pup is too far from the Floyd Rose! I have a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 50.

Oh well, maybe I'll win the Alex Axcess contest!!

post-27237-098518400 1301584160_thumb.jpg

Solitarypine:

As you wish (anything for another AL-355 owner, AL252 here) ---

You win the prize, here is the floyd block shot, brass block as you thought on the AL!

Finally a closeup of the AL FR:

Hope this helps- I only had to wait a few weeks for mine, but I was watching GC like a hawk for it when they first got announced.

That is awesome, thank you for posting that! I'm glad to see the color around the edges is definitely darker than Iced Tea. That's what I was hoping for! Yeah.

Oh, and what's up with Gibson not advertising or stating anywhere about the brass block upgrade on the Floyd? I'm glad Alex made them do it, as if they hadn't I was planning on doing that myself. Cool. Very good to know that.

Finally, I'm not just a fellow AL 355 owner, we are NEXT DOOR NEIGHBORS. Mine is #253! :)

What number is your Axcess? I couldn't quite make it out in the photo.

That is awesome, thank you for posting that! I'm glad to see the color around the edges is definitely darker than Iced Tea. That's what I was hoping for! Yeah.

Oh, and what's up with Gibson not advertising or stating anywhere about the brass block upgrade on the Floyd? I'm glad Alex made them do it, as if they hadn't I was planning on doing that myself. Cool. Very good to know that.

Finally, I'm not just a fellow AL 355 owner, we are NEXT DOOR NEIGHBORS. Mine is #253! :)

What number is your Axcess? I couldn't quite make it out in the photo.

Ha, that's awesome neighbor, go figure! My axcess is AL057, interesting that they are reusing the serial numbers... Yeah that was a good catch on thinking about the brass block, who knows how long it would have been before I looked back there and saw that. Hope you get yours soon.

So, what is the final verdict on this guitar from those who have one? I'm assuming the hum is a bunch of ho hum and not a factor. Any cons to this guitar besides the noted hum? What about the sounds when combining and standalone? And, what amp/head/stack you playing out of? How's that tremolo? Does this guitar need to be set up out of the box?

I still haven't made my way to Guitar Center to play a regular Axcess model (or the AL model if they have one). So, you could say I'm still on the fence.

I guess I want you owners to tell me that this is one guitar I DEFINITELY should get. You love it, can't live without it, blah blah blah. ;)

Going to play some Rush now on my PRS...and freaking try to keep the dang thing in tune. ARGH!!!!

Surf

So has anyone else plugged in their Axcess yet? I did a gig with it Friday night and it sounds great but when I'm on a clean sound and especially on the neck pickup I can swear I heard Piezo bleed with a really high end pitch.

According to my local dealer, almost every one of the new Lifeson Axcess guitars made so far has this problem, and further shipments are on hold until Gibson can resolve the issue. Man, poor Alex (or more specifically, his guitar-playing fans - a.k.a. all of us) just can't seem to get a break. First the "great volute snafu" on the 355 model, now this...

According to my local dealer, almost every one of the new Lifeson Axcess guitars made so far has this problem, and further shipments are on hold until Gibson can resolve the issue. Man, poor Alex (or more specifically, his guitar-playing fans - a.k.a. all of us) just can't seem to get a break. First the "great volute snafu" on the 355 model, now this...

Gibson's already announced the resolution, here, on the page for the guitar. So I think the guitars will ship pretty quickly. Unless of course somebody finds another problem with it.

I finally got around to taking some better photos - still not great, I must admit - and if anyone is interested I'll post photos of my 355 (it is special!). I'm loving this guitar! In trying to post photos, however, I found that they were all too big - so I can only post the money shot.

post-31986-091646900 1302931210_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Has anyone recieved the Piezo Bleed fix from Gibson ? Apparently, my parts will arrive tomorrow.

Thanks,

I finally got around to taking some better photos - still not great, I must admit - and if anyone is interested I'll post photos of my 355 (it is special!). I'm loving this guitar! In trying to post photos, however, I found that they were all too big - so I can only post the money shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Got AL042 last week in Royal Crimson and am most impressed with the vibrancy of the colour, the overall build and of course the tone. The piezo really does add versatility to the sound and I find it really good to just add a touch of brightness to the standard pickups. I have tried to add a couple of pictures.post-33130-004404900 1305989429_thumb.jpgpost-33130-023900800 1305989439_thumb.jpg

Got AL042 last week in Royal Crimson and am most impressed with the vibrancy of the colour, the overall build and of course the tone. The piezo really does add versatility to the sound and I find it really good to just add a touch of brightness to the standard pickups. I have tried to add a couple of pictures.

Congrats, Digitalman! Where did you get it? Did it have the "fix" already? I'm surprised to see such a low serial number being sold so recently.

Cheers. I live in the UK and supposedly it was the first in to the country although it had sat a week or so until the interest free finance could be sorted! I contacted Gibson regarding the modification and understand that they do not see it as an issue but that they have listened to folk and were happy to modify the guitar if wanted. I personally do not have any issue with it and have decided to keep it as built in case the guitar was damaged in any way. I insured it on the house insurance the other day and it even lowered my premium - bonus!

I just got mine, and the setup was actually pretty good. I'm going to change a couple of things, though, including the string size, so it's going to the luthier anyway, as all my guitars do right after I buy them. Because of that I don't really worry about setups when I choose a guitar.

I took the plunge and ordered mine today. I am getting AL 226 in Crimson! I have seen pictures and it is gorgeous!! Should have it in hand by the middle of next week.

What gauge strings did it come with and what are you switching to...thicker or thinner?

Archived