Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone replace the tailpiece on a 175/Zephyr?

SamBooka

Hi,

The tailpiece on my Gibson 165 blew up last night.

I called Gibson and they do not sell replacements, period.

They suggested Stewmac but they do not have a zigzag trapeze in gold.

They also suggested AllParts but have heard the TPs dont fit correctly without redrilling the holes.

Judging by the number of these tailpieces that have broken I think Gibson may have sourced offshore hardware.

Has anyone tried the allparts or guitarpartsresource tailpieces.

Thanks

Drew

`

Wonder if there's some kinda stuff in Artsy Crafty Land

for a spray-on gold finish ? If so, don't fret that it *might*

be less durable than real gold plate ... Have you noticed

how very NON-durable gold finish is on geetar hardware

anyways ? Likely a spray-on would be no worse ....

`

I have not used AllParts Gibson repro tailpieces specifically, but I have used other Gibson repro parts from them and found them to be first quality. Conversely, I have had a lot of trouble with StewMac off-shore crap.

If the mounting holes don't line up, re-drill the tailpiece instead of the guitar. Make a template by folding a piece of paper into an "L" shape, Lay it over the top of the tail end of the guitar, and either use the "rubbing" technique, or poke a pencil point through the paper to mark the holes. The bend in the paper gives you a top reference location mark (up & down), and the side-to-side location will be the center line of the mounting flange for the new holes.

It looks like I will get one from Allparts.

Guitarpartsresource has the same thing but they dont answer my calls and dont respond to emails.

I have a Benedetto TP on the way that I won on ebay. I will try that first (since it will get here long before anything from the US does)

Thanks

Drew

Archived