Gibson Brands Forums

The elusive Gibson SG Classic

alexanderreay

Hello,

I've been searching for info on this for some time, in fact I could pad this out to a sizable essay given my 'history' with this issue.

Why did the SG classic become un-obtainable in the UK and apparently EU at a guess about 5-7 years ago? I wanted one for years and they suddenly became impossible to obtain.

I am a luthier for a UK based company and my boss informed me it could be the new (then) laws prohibiting brazilian (or honduras) mahogany from being imported into the EU. The SG classic specs show it as being made with brazilian mahongany. I was reasonably satisfied with this but after much searching I cannot confirm it. Some people have reported availabilty, others not but no-one seems to know the actual facts. It has become a bit of a need to know thing out of slow burning curiosity and frustration at trying to import one from the US and failing.. after trying and failing to buy 2 others.. long story, Happy ending.

I have two now :D

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I adore the P-90s. Hence buying the second one while I had the chance, just exactly what I need and want sound wise. I'm surprised Gibson don't offer a greater range of instruments equipped with them.

I'm afraid I wouldn't part with either of them, the first is my main guitar and the second a welcome back up (and vice versa, neither sits for too long).

Thanks for the welcome, I'll get round to taking some pictures of my collection for you.

Pales somewhat compared to NeoConMan's I must say... Nice collection man :-)

Archived