Gibson Brands Forums

Loose machine head?

Andre S

Lately I have noticed on my les Paul the G String has been slipping in terms of tune, whenever I pick it up it is always a little flat, but enough to be audible to me...also the machine head feels loose at times when I'm adjusting the tuning.

The others are alright.

Is there anything that I can do to tighten it up to hold the tune better or should I swap it out? If I do I might change to the Kidney Bean style Grovers.

Lately I have noticed on my les Paul the G String has been slipping in terms of tune, whenever I pick it up it is always a little flat, but enough to be audible to me...also the machine head feels loose at times when I'm adjusting the tuning.

The others are alright.

Is there anything that I can do to tighten it up to hold the tune better or should I swap it out? If I do I might change to the Kidney Bean style Grovers.

tuning problems are usually in the nut. my R9 fell over one night and landed on the headstock (no break thank god). afterwards the D and G tuners were loose and wobbly, but they still stayed in tune. of course i have since swapped the klusons for USA Pat Pending kidney-bean Grovers ($75 on ebay!!!!).

if you can find USA grovers for a good price, i think they are worth it. ymmv

tuning problems are usually in the nut. my R9 fell over one night and landed on the headstock (no break thank god). afterwards the D and G tuners were loose and wobbly, but they still stayed in tune. of course i have since swapped the klusons for USA Pat Pending kidney-bean Grovers ($75 on ebay!!!!).

if you can find USA grovers for a good price, i think they are worth it. ymmv

Well either earlier this year or late last year, my Les Paul fell top down on the floor off its stand....a hard tiled floor, a little of the nut on the low E side chipped off but to be honest I haven't noticed any thing like that till recently...if I were replacing them I would buy the aged set on RS....I like aged nickel look......the finish could age naturally for my part though....Are those USA grovers?

Well either earlier this year or late last year, my Les Paul fell top down on the floor off its stand....a hard tiled floor, a little of the nut on the low E side chipped off but to be honest I haven't noticed any thing like that till recently...if I were replacing them I would buy the aged set on RS....I like aged nickel look......the finish could age naturally for my part though....Are those USA grovers?

those are not USA. i would be patient and watch ebay and TGP.

Archived