Gibson Brands Forums

1956 goldtop is it still in production?

Gibson Artist

Hi all! New to the forums and was wondering about the Epi les paul 1956 Goldtop, it says limited edition but i cannot find any information anywhere about when the run of production is to end. I think this guitar is unique and it will be a shame the day it ends production because of the sweet pickups that offer quite a departure from every other lp ive heard.

anyone have info on it?

Hi all! New to the forums and was wondering about the Epi les paul 1956 Goldtop, it says limited edition but i cannot find any information anywhere about when the run of production is to end.

Production will end when customers stop buying it!!! They've been making them for years, still in production, get 'em while you can!!!

Epiphone Web Site '56 GT

$399 at Musician's Friend

Welcome to the Camp

Production will end when customers stop buying it!!! They've been making them for years, still in production, get 'em while you can!!!

Epiphone Web Site '56 GT

$399 at Musician's Friend

Welcome to the Camp

Wow, i did not expect to see it for only 400 when the last time i was in a music store it was about 550. Mind you, i usually like to hit the smaller mom and pop stores as they tend to give better service than the larger outlets. Im actually a member of mf and purchased my Hummingbird through them, didnt see this one in the catalog tho, thanks alot for the heads up.

Oh, MAN!!! I'm still heartbroken over missing out on the

$169 Wilshire, now the Goldtop is only $399??? [love]

Must....resist......G.A.S......... NO, NO, NO!!!!

I need another project guitar. That's the ticket!

Hey animal i hope you aren't one of those guys who would take out the pickups are you? I see people putting humbuckers in the 56 and i cant help but wonder why do people want to take away that classic single coil sound? They just end up with a gold lookin les paul after spending hundreds of dollars to route it and put in the humbuckers all they really have is just a gold les paul.

The 56 to me is all about the pickups. Ive never seen many les pauls that had a buddy holly, carl perkins type of feel but the 56 does. Btw, what does gas mean, gotta have it?

The 56 to me is all about the pickups. Ive never seen many les pauls that had a buddy holly, carl perkins type of feel but the 56 does...

Are you crazy, Carl Perkins would never play a Les Paul Goldtop with P-90s...

Carl+Perkins+cp.jpg

Never mind!!!

Is that a Bigsby on a les paul?

Yep, Carl had two LP GTs, a 1952-53 with the original trap tailpiece and a 1955 with the Bigsby. He used the 1952 when he recorded Honey Don't and the 1955 for Blue Suede Shoes.

invloed_5.jpg

My favorite Les Paul with a Bigsby is Neil Young's Old Black. It has a P-90 with a chrome cover in the neck and a mini Firebird humbucker in the bridge position.

neil_young.jpg

OldBlack1.jpg

Yep, Carl had two LP GTs, a 1952-53 with the original trap tailpiece and a 1955 with the Bigsby. He used the 1952 when he recorded Honey Don't and the 1955 for Blue Suede Shoes.

invloed_5.jpg

My favorite Les Paul with a Bigsby is Neil Young's Old Black. It has a P-90 with a chrome cover in the neck and a mini Firebird humbucker in the bridge position.

neil_young.jpg

OldBlack1.jpg

Neil young is great, love that guitar. It is certainly broken in is it not? Now that's what you call road worn.

Road worn??? Looks like it was run over by a Semi...

OldBlack1.jpg

Yes it does lol, it's certainly very neat to see a bigsby on a LP and i wonder if Carl's came standard or if he put it on himself? Pardon the ignorance to the Gibson legacy, im green but always willing to learn..

Yes it does lol, it's certainly very neat to see a bigsby on a LP and i wonder if Carl's came standard or if he put it on himself? Pardon the ignorance to the Gibson legacy, im green but always willing to learn..

It may have been factory fitted. I believe it was around 1954-1955 when the B7 first became optional on Les Pauls as a factory fitment.

Gibson makes historic 1954 and 1957 Customs with Bigsbys.

Epi even has a limited edition standard with a Bigsby available right now:

Les Paul Standard with Bigsby

Archived