Gibson Brands Forums

Elitist Sheraton

Phillbis

What years did Epiphone make the Elitist Sheraton? Did they ever put full size humbucksers in these or was it always mini hums? I'm looking at a used Sheartaon where the owenr thinks it's an Elitist but it has full size humbuckers and is in natural. I don't have the serial number yet so I'm looking for general info on the Elitist.

Thanks

What years did Epiphone make the Elitist Sheraton? Did they ever put full size humbucksers in these or was it always mini hums? I'm looking at a used Sheartaon where the owenr thinks it's an Elitist but it has full size humbuckers and is in natural. I don't have the serial number yet so I'm looking for general info on the Elitist.

Thanks

Simple, the Elitists have a logo on the back of the headstock like this:

3846923649_e4bc586806.jpg

No logo, no Elitist.

PS - AFAIK an Elitist Sheraton should have minis.

Did they ever put full size humbucksers in these or was it always mini hums? I'm looking at a used Sheartaon where the owenr thinks it's an Elitist but it has full size humbuckers and is in natural.

There was indeed a natural Elitist Sheraton, but it had mini humbuckers:

EL%20Shrtn_NA.jpg

You can always tell apart an Elitist Sheraton (and other Elite/Elitist guitars) by the Elite/Elitist label on the back of the headstock. Note this label is printed, not a decal! So it can't be "lost" or "pulled off by the children". Also the paper sticker inside the guitar reads "Epiphone Elitist". The serial number on back of the headstock should be graven, not color printed or on a decal.

3846923649_e4bc586806.jpg

Also note the 3-step wing Super Rotomatic tuning machines. Furthermore the guitar should come in a case labeled "Epiphone Elitist".

Here's the Elitist Sheraton web site:

Elitist Sheraton web site

Great info! Thanks for the replies.

There is a AIUSA Sheraton (Elitist made, but assembled at Gibson USA, with USA parts/electronics)

on E-bay, right now. Price is a bit Steep, but maybe you can "bargain" a bit. Elitist and AIUSA

Sheri's are premium quality! I own a AIUSA Sunburst versoin, myself. Outstanding guitar, all around!

Good Luck!

CB

Just one more thing to add to everyone's excellent identification information: An Elite/Elitist Sheraton will have an embossed serial number starting with T on the back of the headstock. This number will also appear on a gold rimmed white Elite or Elitist label visible through the sound hole.

Red 333

Another thing, about the AIUSA Sheri's...they have the older (Kalamazoo) specs, on the headstock design...which is slighly different, than the Elitist version...the Elitist being a bit longer and not quite as wide, at the top (bookend) bout. The bottom bout, on the headstock has a slightly sharper points, and less radius, in the curves, to those points, as well.

(No big deal, really....just interesting.) The AIUSA tuner keys were the standard Grover "D" shaped (Kidney Bean) version. (I added the "Imperial" Grover buttons that are "Stock" on the Elitist, to my guitar.) Just a personal preference, and not because the other's were "bad." Photos of my AIUSA Sheri, below.

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

Also, the "E" letter, on the pickguard, on AIUSA verions is silver foil (tape), and on the Elitist, it's a raised 3-D letter. The TRC on the Elitist is 3 hole, and the AIUSA is 2 hole, like the original "Kalamazoo" versions. "Elitist" are poly finished, and the AIUSA are "Nitro" finished. So, just some small differences, in the two versions.

Cheers,

CB

Archived