Gibson Brands Forums

Favourite strings for "Inspired by 64" Texan.

frenchie 63

Which strings do "Inspired by 64" Texan owners prefer on their guitar? I normally use D`Addario 12-52 Phospher Bronze on most of my acoustics, but I am tempted to try out a set of Elixir 80/20`s on mine, in the hope that I will gain a bit more zing and brightness to the tone, which although good, tends to be on the warm side.

Steve.

I actually just bought a set of the Gibson strings the guitar came with. What's wrong with them? When I played the guitar in the store I absolutely loved its tone, so I bought it. I love what I bought so I'm keeping it that way - Gibson .12-.52s.

I actually just bought a set of the Gibson strings the guitar came with. What's wrong with them? When I played the guitar in the store I absolutely loved its tone, so I bought it. I love what I bought so I'm keeping it that way - Gibson .12-.52s.

I usually stick with tried-and-true D'Addario EJ-17s. I believe you need the medium strings to really get the most out of the IB'64 Texan's top.

I will, say, however, that I recently tried a set of Reds mediums on one of my other guitars and was wowed by how good they sound. Hasn't been time for a string change for the Texan yet, but I may try some Reds on it. Sometimes different guitars need different strings, though.

Thanks for the replies guys. Just like you David (dhanners) I`ve been using D`Addario EJ-17`s, but I think I am gonna give a set of Elixir 80/20 12-53`s a go, just to see if I can get a bit more brightness and zing out of her.

Steve.

I usually stick with tried-and-true D'Addario EJ-17s. I believe you need the medium strings to really get the most out of the IB'64 Texan's top.

I will, say, however, that I recently tried a set of Reds mediums on one of my other guitars and was wowed by how good they sound. Hasn't been time for a string change for the Texan yet, but I may try some Reds on it. Sometimes different guitars need different strings, though.

Good to see you back.

What differences did you note with the Reds? You used these on your J-45?

Red 333

Good to see you back.

Red 333

Thanks, Red, and it's good to be back. Moral of the story is to write down your password somewhere....

I tried the Red strings on a kit-built (StewMac) dread I've got that basically has D-18 specs and they were brighter and lusher and louder. Haven't tried them on the J-45 yet.

None of the local stores carry Red mediums, so I have to order them through Elderly. The local Guitar Center carries Red lights but not the mediums. But I'd say they are definitely worth a try. While I still like the EJ-17s, I will experiment with different strings from time to time just to see if I'm missing anything and I will say the Reds are the only brand I've experimented with in the past few years that knocked my socks off.

Good to see you back.

Red 333

I have tried the Reds, both medium and the light's on my old Yamaha FG. One thing I can say is they are loud and heavy string's! They sound a bit to mid-rangey and colored too me, I never tried them on my Texan. I have tried both medium, light and extra light John Peirce string's on the Texan and IMHO the extra light's work the best for me. That have the least amount of buzz and even if they don't last very long they do sound the best too my ear's.

Well, I went with the Elixir Nanoweb 80/20`s, and the change in tone is exactly what I wanted. The Inspired by 64 sounded good anyway, but much warmer than a real 60`s Texan, now with these Elixir strings I`ve got the best of both worlds, so I am pretty pleased.

Steve.

P.S. Did any of you guys have to rejoin the forum after the latest changes? I had to, as I couldn`t log on anymore!

Does anybody else find the action on their IB Texan stiff? I have tried a number of different strings; currently using Elixir 80/20 11's, without fixing the problem. I wouldn't normally want to go lighter than 12's but I really find the IB hard. I have lowered the nut about as far as I dare and made myself a new bone saddle that follows the contour of the 14" radius fingerboard better than the original saddle: it's also much lower. The neck tension seems fine. Still the action seems stiff. Is it the scale length of the IB that is doing this?

By comparison, I have a Washburn D61 fitted with 12s and a Tanglewood CSR also with 12s; both are much easier to play than the IB. String clearance is about the same on the IB as the other two, so I don't really understand what makes its action harder. I have heard that there are low tension strings available and wondered whether they might cure the problem. Has anybody else tried them?

In all other ways I really like the IB Texan and it would be a shame to have to sell it but if I can't get on with the action, there is not much point in having it. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Does anybody else find the action on their IB Texan stiff? I have tried a number of different strings; currently using Elixir 80/20 11's, without fixing the problem. I wouldn't normally want to go lighter than 12's but I really find the IB hard. I have lowered the nut about as far as I dare and made myself a new bone saddle that follows the contour of the 14" radius fingerboard better than the original saddle: it's also much lower. The neck tension seems fine. Still the action seems stiff. Is it the scale length of the IB that is doing this?

By comparison, I have a Washburn D61 fitted with 12s and a Tanglewood CSR also with 12s; both are much easier to play than the IB. String clearance is about the same on the IB as the other two, so I don't really understand what makes its action harder. I have heard that there are low tension strings available and wondered whether they might cure the problem. Has anybody else tried them?

In all other ways I really like the IB Texan and it would be a shame to have to sell it but if I can't get on with the action, there is not much point in having it. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Not sure what to tell you. I don't consider the action on mine "stiff." It seems pretty nice to me. Guitars -- even mass-produced ones -- are very individual things, though.

Archived