Gibson Brands Forums

How to replace pups with PCB?

Kostek12

hmmmmm....

I wonder if that's the same kind of clip that is used in the Les Paul Push Tone?

If so I now have a choice to swap out my stock 498's in my '08 SG Special for a pair of Burstbuckers or P94's that are in my LP Push Tone.

The Push Tone was supposedly first Gibson to have that PCB in it then they started using it in the rest soon after. I think it basically makes installing the electronics easier at the factory, but it's a pain in the @ss for anyone wanting to swap out stuff. Especially if you want to modify the wiring of he pots in any way.

never thought I'd say this but... DAMMIT! I got one of the "pre - PCB" SG Specials. That means I can't just swap pickups between guitars without modifications that have to be reversed in order to get the pickups into their original guitars again. That's just such a shame, cause not only was I curious as to how the SG would sound the Push Tone's pups, but I was also curious as to how the 498's would sound in the Les Paul Push Tone.

• 2 years later...

Or learn to solder.

Besides I don't think it has anything to do with your age mate!

My son was bearly 16 when he put the electronics is the Red White and Blue bass that Richard Turner of Blackberry Smoke is playing... He did Richard's Tele style bass this past Spring. Both basses were built by my friend/neighbor Joe Hamilton

a friend brought over an old dilapidated sg from the 80s that had 490s in it. I put the whole kit and caboodle in his new sg special. it was incredibly easy. I recommend letting someone solder for you it looks easy but you can make a mess fast.

• 10 months later...

I have been a Gibson fan for decades and decades. These PCB's are a pain in the neck, and they effect the sound of the guitar. I have two SG's with PCB's and they both sound thin compared to other SG's that I own with normal wiring. I just had one of the PCB-wired SGs gutted and rewired the traditional way with new Gibson pots and standard caps, and it sounds like it should. The PCB approach is not a good one IMO. The only good thing I did find about the PCB is that the taper on thr pots is very even all the way through the range. Other than that, the PCB makes the guitar sound like stale bread.

Here's how I installed some new pickups in my SGJ -

WARNING:

I AM SKILLED AT SOLDERING, PERFORM AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Unplug stock pickups from circuit board.

Remove stock pickups.

Transfer pickup rings to new pickups.

Prepare new pickup wire ends as follows:

Black wire - HOT - 1" long, with 1/16" tinned end.

Green wire - GROUND - 1" long, with 1/16" tinned end.

Drain wire - GROUND - 1" long, INSULATE WITH 1/16" DIA. HEAT SHRINK TUBING, 1/16" bare end twisted w/green wire.

Red + White wires - SOLDER TOGETHER AND INSULATE WITH 1/16" DIA. HEAT SHRINK TUBING.

Install a SD pearly gates (8K) in the neck position.

Install a SD JB (15K) in the bridge position.

Tack solder each prepared pickup lead end directly to volume pot terminals.

UPPER VOL. POT - NECK PICKUP.

LOWER VOL. POT - BRIDGE PICKUP.

Pre-tin outer terminals of each volume pot at circuit board junction points to facilitate "tacking" of pickup conductors.

With the rear side of volume pot facing, terminals downward, the pickup connects as follows:

LEFT OUTER TERMINAL - BLACK WIRE - HOT.

RIGHT OUTER TERMINAL - GREEN AND DRAIN WIRE - GROUND.

Done!

• 8 months later...

Hello - I am new to the forum. Been looking for help on this topic. My main SG has been a 2011 60's Tribute which I installed a 50's style harness in. I recently purchased a 2014 SGJ with the PCB. I want to swap out the electronics (not the pickups) so I can sell the Tribute and keep the good harness in the new guitar. To install the PCB into the Tribute, am I correct that I would want to twist the green/braid together and attach them to the braid on the P90's. Then attach the black to black and disable the red/white wires?

Archived