Gibson Brands Forums

A challenge!

Anubis

I bought an (1988) Epihone S 800. It was used, and a little dusty but I took a liking to it and knew that it was a diamond in the rough. Anyhoo, I'm looking for a third locking screw like the two pictured below. The previous owner apparently lost the third one and replaced it with the standard internal hex screw that is normally found on ALL these locking nut systems. But I like the sleek look of the after market slotted screw. It makes the guitar look more like an instrument than a hardware store power tool.

By now, I've looked everywhere online. All the usual suspects (allparts, Steinberger, Floyd Rose, etc.). I have asked music store guitar "techs" including the GC where I bought it. I have even been to Ace Hardware and have them look at every screw in existence. I can't find it anywhere. If anyone has seen or can point to exactly where I can find this M4 screw I will be eternally grateful and buy you a beer or something.

post-25454-024654400 1284335641_thumb.jpg

I bought an (1988) Epihone S 800. It was used, and a little dusty but I took a liking to it and knew that it was a diamond in the rough. Anyhoo, I'm looking for a third locking screw like the two pictured below. The previous owner apparently lost the third one and replaced it with the standard internal hex screw that is normally found on ALL these locking nut systems. But I like the sleek look of the after market slotted screw. It makes the guitar look more like an instrument than a hardware store power tool.

By now, I've looked everywhere online. All the usual suspects (allparts, Steinberger, Floyd Rose, etc.). I have asked music store guitar "techs" including the GC where I bought it. I have even been to Ace Hardware and have them look at every screw in existence. I can't find it anywhere. If anyone has seen or can point to exactly where I can find this M4 screw I will be eternally grateful and buy you a beer or something.

I THINK you're looking for one screw ?

M4 = metric screw with diamter of 4mm ? But how long ???

Slotted head screw ?

So far so good ?

CHEEKS

Yeah how long is the screw and what thread pitch? I work for a fastener store and have access to just about everything in existence. I can't tell from the pic but is it black? If so that might or might not be a problem. Let me know. If you don't have a way to check yourself, take it to some store locally and get them to tell you. Or send me a PM of your city and state (assuming cont. U.S.) and I can get you the closest location of the company I work for. They have over 2K stores in the U.S. so one should be close by.

Edit: If it were me personally I would just get three of the ones that would normally go on those locking systems unless you want 100% authenticity.

Ace isn't the deepest hardware store around. You need to go somewhere like Lowe's or Home Depot, which have HUGE machine screw/bolt selections.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any hardware retail or wholesale store or staff.... This was how I solved my own missing screw probs.

Yeah how long is the screw and what thread pitch? I work for a fastener store and have access to just about everything in existence. I can't tell from the pic but is it black? If so that might or might not be a problem. Let me know. If you don't have a way to check yourself, take it to some store locally and get them to tell you. Or send me a PM of your city and state (assuming cont. U.S.) and I can get you the closest location of the company I work for. They have over 2K stores in the U.S. so one should be close by.

Edit: If it were me personally I would just get three of the ones that would normally go on those locking systems unless you want 100% authenticity.

The pitch is 0.7 and the length is the standard one that goes on all these Floyd Rose type locking nut systems... about a half inch. btw- I started at Home Depot and after finding nothing, they sent me to Ace claiming that they had a better selection there. Go figure. I found another image(below) of one from Elderly Instruments and now I believe that these screws were a stock part and not a mod by the previous owner. So, would this part of the system also be manufactured by Steinberger or did they just make the tremolo unit and Epiphone made the locking nut assembly? Surely someone here must know? I've looked at Steinberger replacement parts suppliers but can't find anything going back that far. This tremolo was a very early design and in fact, it was fatally flawed(more on that later). To make matters worse this instrument was fitted with three different tremolo designs: Epiphone Bennder, Schaller Floyd Rose, and Steinberger KB! The reason I don't wanna put one of those standard internal hex type screws on this beauty is because those things are fugly, especially on this guitar. If James Bond played guitar back in the eighites, my(black one) would've been it. I've never seen a stealthier yet elegant guitar. Everything is black, except for the neck.

30U-16177_headstock-front.jpg30U-16177_bridge.jpg

Home Depot is the LAST resort, as far as I'm concerned. They don't know anything, their inventory is always stocked in the wrong place, and they just don't care. I've also found that guitar bolts and screws are usually pretty fine pitch, and the hardware super stores usually don't have anything that will work.

The Ace Hardwares in my area independent franchise owners, and they can at least tell you that they don't carry it. Unlike Home Depot who will send you to Ace (to have THEM tell you they don't have it).

I've sometimes had luck finding an odd screw or bolt at a locksmith/security store. You might also try a gun shop or bike repair shop.

Do not hold me to it, but feel free to pm me from time to time to remind me.

I use to buy alot of older "pawn shop" guitars to gut and mod. I do beleive I had some of these screws. I never threw my extra parts away but stored them in boxes. They should be in my parent's shed. However that shed is packed tighter than a Led Zepplin show. I will do my best to get over there this week and take a look for the boxes of parts and see if Im right or not.

-J.

Archived