Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Profile - Question

glennc

Whilst I'm no expert on this, I own both a '59 ES 335 Reissue & a Les Paul '59 Reissue. The Les Paul '59 has a more thinline style neck whereas the ES 335 '59 has a neck similar in size to a Les Paul '57 reissue. The later ES 335's have the more slimline neck style. As I recall the ES 335 '63 reissue has a more slimline neck style.

I really love the neck style on both the ES 335 '59 reissue and on the Les Paul R7. They have a real chunky, larger neck style which has a very profound impact on the overall tonal qualities of the guitars.

If you like the more thinline neck styles you will need to look at later ES 335's. That is later than '59 reissues.

Whilst I'm no expert on this, I own both a '59 ES 335 Reissue & a Les Paul '59 Reissue. The Les Paul '59 has a more thinline style neck whereas the ES 335 '59 has a neck similar in size to a Les Paul '57 reissue. The later ES 335's have the more slimline neck style. As I recall the ES 335 '63 reissue has a more slimline neck style.

I really love the neck style on both the ES 335 '59 reissue and on the Les Paul R7. They have a real chunky, larger neck style which has a very profound impact on the overall tonal qualities of the guitars.

If you like the more thinline neck styles you will need to look at later ES 335's. That is later than '59 reissues.

Hello AlanC,

Thanks for responding. I can only compare the 59 Les Paul Reissue which was extremely thick, which I like. It appears that the 59 Custom Shop Reissue doesn't have the same as the neck on yours. It definitely isn't a 63 slim style but it isn't as chunky as the 59 Reissue I've seen. I'd say it is more like an early ES-135. They also make a reissue of a les paul junior or TV that had a real baseball neck. Well I love the guitar and am stuck with its neck. It sure is a beautiful and great sounding guitar. How do you like the Les Paul reissue. They are beautiful. Take care and thanks again for your time.

glennc

Hi glennc, My Les Paul '59 reissue is made by the Custom shop.and my neck is not as chunky as '57 reissues.

My understanding is that one of the main reasons why the Les Paul '59's were and are so popular is because the less chunky neck was very popular among guitar players. Other forum members have a much better knowledge of Historic Gibsons than me so they may be able make comments.

What I do know is the the earlier Les Paul reissues such as the '57's have chunky necks like the ES 335 '59 reissue.

Hi glennc, My Les Paul '59 reissue is made by the Custom shop.and my neck is not as chunky as '57 reissues.

My understanding is that one of the main reasons why the Les Paul '59's were and are so popular is because the less chunky neck was very popular among guitar players. Other forum members have a much better knowledge of Historic Gibsons than me so they may be able make comments.

What I do know is the the earlier Les Paul reissues such as the '57's have chunky necks like the ES 335 '59 reissue.

Hey AlanC,

Maybe what my 59 Reissue has is a chunky neck. I really don't know the differences, only from an aging memory. Does your's also not have a serial number stamped in the rear of headstock? Like to see a picture of the neck profiles for comparison should you feel you have the time and inclination to post it. Thanks anyway for info.

glennc

That '59 neck profile on your 335 is probably a bit chunkier than the '59 neck on the '59 LP Reissue. My 339 was the fat neck and it was def chunkier.

Hello vincentw,

Thanks for joining in the discussion. It must be my memory! I remember a 59 Les Paul Reissue, if only I could have afforded it,

thats neck seem very round up to the headstock. I remember it had the wood top showing under the body binding as supposedly on the original. My 59 Reissue feels thinner, all the way up. The Les Paul seemed as if it didn't slim toward the headstock almost.

Well it is not relevant as I'm not going to change the neck. Just wanted to get an idea. I wish Gibson had a fullsize cross section of the different neck profiles at several places on the neck. Then I could measure. Appreciate you information.

glennc

• 2 weeks later...

Hello vincentw,

Thanks for joining in the discussion. It must be my memory! I remember a 59 Les Paul Reissue, if only I could have afforded it,

thats neck seem very round up to the headstock. I remember it had the wood top showing under the body binding as supposedly on the original. My 59 Reissue feels thinner, all the way up. The Les Paul seemed as if it didn't slim toward the headstock almost.

Well it is not relevant as I'm not going to change the neck. Just wanted to get an idea. I wish Gibson had a fullsize cross section of the different neck profiles at several places on the neck. Then I could measure. Appreciate you information.

glennc

Howdy Again,

Have gotten different manufacture dates on the guitar, it is either 1996 or 2006 from Gibson. I'm almost positive that I purchased it well before 2006. The neck is no where the thickness of a 59. It at the first fret is much smaller than my ES-175 and it doesn't increase in diameter nearly as much as the 175 as it gets closer to the body. I also noted that it does not have square sides and binding/fretboard but is rounded at this junction. Is seems that this is well out of specifications for a 50's rounded neck. Is this a common occurrence?

Thanks.

aardvark

Hello,

I have an ES-335 Custom Shop 1959 Reissue. I happen to like the neck on a 1959 Les Paul Reissue, big. These do not seem the same. My question is what would my guitars neck profile be best described as? Thanks for any information.

glennc

The neck profile is more than likely the slim taper or 60's style as Le Paul owners refer to it.

Howdy Ron E.,

I think that you are correct. Although it is not supposed to be. What is particularly unusual for me is the the neck seems to stay the same thickness all the way down to the joint with the body. My limited experience has been that there is a noticeable increase, but not on this beauty. Take care

glennc

Hello,

I have an ES-335 Custom Shop 1959 Reissue. I happen to like the neck on a 1959 Les Paul Reissue, big. These do not seem the same. My question is what would my guitars neck profile be best described as? Thanks for any information.

glennc

glennc:

Without getting super precise technical about the subject,or getting out my books; wouldn't the 59 ES-335 reissue be the original style 335 neck unless you purchased the 59 reissue model which specifies in its' purchase ad it has the 63 slim taper neck added. They have done both neck types on the 59 reissue ES-335. They do tell you what you are getting if it's 63 slim taper. I haven't paid close attention as to whether this depends on dot or block necks. Gibson is doing some strange things on the 335 reissues now, but unless a 59 reissue ES-335 ad states the instrument incorporates the 63 slim taper (in the sales promotion itself), it is the original 335 neck. That original 335 neck was not as large as the 59 Paul neck. No need to comment on orginal specs after all that! As for the 59 reissue Paul it was the first drop in size from the monster 58 2'x4'(which I love!), but it was still hefty as compared to later models. I hope that helps a little. [blink]

Steve

Hello Paul,

This is one from I believe from the second year of reproduction. When I purchased it I fell in love and also was unaware that there were much bigger necks available, supposedly especially on the 59 Reproduction. So I didn't order it or even know about the difference. Now that I do the only thing that I would like to make this guitar better would be a big neck. I've seen the 61 SG style neck and this is practically slimmer, all the way to the body. Well, luck of the draw. Wonder how much it would cost to get a fat neck put on it and it refinished and setup by Gibson? The best way will be to buy a vintage natural ES-335 Custom Shop 59 reproduction with the fat neck. Financially I will not be holding my breath. As to the Les Paul, I played a 58 VOS next to a 59 VOS and the size difference is noticeable.

Either is great for me, but the 58 was better IMHO and $2000 less. Thanks for the reply and information, take care.

glennc

Archived